For a while I have wanted to make a picture frame to display my favorite photo of Mary Ashley and Emma -- a beautiful black and white shot captured by my friend Allison Hilyer last year when the girls were flower girls for our friends Neil and Haley Scott. I can't help but smile each time I look at this photo, so I am so glad to finally have it in a special frame. To make this one, I painted a wooden craft store frame white, then covered it with a favorite scrapbook paper. (Paper and frame, Hobby Lobby; ribbon, Elaine's in Montgomery, Ala.) Directions follow for making your own.
1. Paint a wooden frame, and allow it to dry.
2. Measure the frame, and cut a rectangle of scrapbook paper to fit. If the paper has a pattern repeat, as the one pictured above, keep this in mind when you decide where to cut. For a decorative edge to the paper, use shaped scissors or carefully tear the paper.
3. Make sure the paper fits the frame, then turn it face down on a cutting mat. Place your frame face down on top of the paper, and use a pencil to lightly trace the opening of the frame onto the paper. Use a sharp craft knife to cut out the opening. See if this fits the frame, and carefully make any more cuts as needed to ensure a perfect fit.
4. Coat the frame with a thin coat of Mod Podge with a sponge brush, and press the paper into place. Smooth out any bubbles that form by pushing the air out to the edges of the frame. Go over the top of the scrapbook paper with another thin coat of Mod Podge, and allow it to dry.
5. Repeat with another thin coat of Mod Podge. When this coat dries, you can move on to the next step, or re-coat if necessary.
6. Hot glue a fluffy bow to the top of the frame. (Be sure to finish the edges of the ribbon with a no-fray solution or clear fingernail polish if you choose a ribbon that frays.) If desired, finish the knot with a pretty bauble pinned or glued to the center.
7. Place a pretty photo inside, and your frame will be picture perfect!
Speaking of picture perfect, congratulations to the winners of the giveaway for 25 photo cards from Shutterfly: Kim Lessig, Angela Maddux and Taryn Brodie!