Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Daily News

Christian's kindergarten teacher invites the children to share something about their day with her as part of their morning routine. It is always such an honor for the student whose announcement is deemed the daily news and shared with the class. So Monday morning before the children left for school, I told Christian he might want to tell his teacher that his dad is in the hospital and will probably have his gall bladder removed. "Oh, yeah," Christian said. "That's what it is. I knew it was something that began with 'dog,' but I couldn't remember the last part. Yeah, Dad's having his dog bladder removed." That would be newsworthy, for sure!

I do have an update on Joe that I can report. His gall bladder was removed Tuesday. He had gall stones, acute infection and gangrene, so it was an agonizing experience. The doctor was able to accomplish the surgery with laparascopy, so this should help his recovery dramatically. The infection was treated in the hospital, and he was able to return home late last night. He is very sore today but said he slept better last night than he has in a week. Thank you so much for all your support. We have appreciated so much all the calls, visits and prayers. Your acts of kindness mean so much!

We are all so relieved to have Joe back home. I think 2-year-old Emma summed it up best. For the past few days she has been repeating in hushed tones, "Daddy sick," but last night she threw her hands over her head and exclaimed, "Daddy home!" And we are so thankful.

8 comments:

Kristi said...

Bless him - that is quite an ordeal! He should be feeling so much better - and I'm sure that your kids are glad to have him home. How stressful to have Daddy sick and in the hospital!

sweeter and the bubbas said...

I'm glad y'all are home safe and sound! :-) I hope you can work it out to come Friday night. Please let me know if I can help with the kiddos, etc.

Becky Welch said...

SO glad prayers were answered. We will continue to keep all of you in our prayers as Joe recovers.

Melanie said...

I am so happy to hear that Joe is healing. You have been in our prayers! I hope the weekend brings you some much needed rest and relaxation:)

Beth said...

I am glad to hear that your husband's surgery went well. I hope is continues to recover well. You all will be in my prayers.

Leah said...

So glad he's home! I loved Emma's comment!

Jennifer@DoingTheNextThing said...

Oh, Melissa! I've been out of pocket and missed the excitement. What an ordeal Joe's been through. I'm glad he's home and I will pray for a quick recovery.

Robyn said...

So thankful to hear the news of a good report! I've been out of town, unable to check the internet and I've been so curious to know how things have been going.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin