Thursday, January 2, 2014

Christmas Candy Tea

Happy New Year! We have enjoyed a great holiday break with lots of family time, extra rest and a few creative projects I can't wait to share. But first, here are a few photos from the tea party the girls and I hosted for our friends the Browns.

Most of our sitting room furniture is still in Wetumpka, but I took advantage of the empty space in our new house to set up a card table in view of my sitting room tree.

A simple menu of mostly storebought treats helped us manage planning a party in the midst of the holiday rush.


I tied extra wreaths to the chair backs with pink ribbon and set the table with pastel linens and dinnerware.


Candy ornaments from Wal-Mart made sweet favors for the four girls.


Our menu included tea sandwiches with chicken salad and pimento cheese from Zoe's, chocolate cupcakes from Publix and strawberry petit fours from Edgar's Bakery. Fresh strawberries and pineapple rounded out the simple fare, served with Ascot Floral Afternoon tea from Whittard.


And a candy cane at each place reiterated our candy theme.


I filled a cake plate with extra teatime treats so Stacey and I could visit over a cup of tea in the kitchen while the little girls enjoyed their tiered server in the sitting room.


Stacey brought blueberry and cranberry-orange scones for the party, and I served them with homemade lemon curd. Find the recipe here.


We have gone through many transitions this year, but we are grateful that our friendships with Stacey, Emma and Lizzy remain constant. We are already planning our next visit with these sweet girls!


Speaking of sharing tea with friends, in my next post I will announce the winner of my giveaway from Whittard. Find the original post to enter here. Also, the book Afternoon Tea from the editors of TeaTime was not claimed, so leave a comment below and I will select a new winner from this post.

Happy New Year!


Teresa Stacy said...

I love reading your blog, "A Little Lovliness," Melissa. So excited about your new career with the publishing company. Look forward to hearing more about your sweet family and your fabulous entertaining! Much love, Teresa Stacy

Goosegirl said...

Oh how lovely!! Everything you do is so beautiful. I need to do a tea party with my little girl and the neighborhood girls.

I have a question for you though. Where, and how, do you store all your different types of china? Do you have tips to share? I don't have very many sets but I just seem clueless with how to organize my dishes so they are accessible and protected at the same time.
Thank you so much.
Sivje Parish

Anonymous said...

I love your blog melissa! It is always a happy moment in my day when I read your posts. I love doing tea parties with my daughter. Happy new year to you and your family:-)

Joy said...

How darling! The table is lovely and what cute favors those ornaments make! You have made some special memories for those girls.
I'd love to win the book, by the way, hope you will pick me! Happy New Year.

Deborah said...

I hope your Christmas was merry and your New Year is blessed. Thanks for the opportunity for teatime. I'm glad you have been able to post a little more lately in your busy schedule. I really enjoy them.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

What a lovely party! Looks like a great spread and a fun time for you, the girls, and your guests!

Happy New Year!



Becky said...

What wonderful ideas!

Donna and Miss Spenser said...

So pretty...I enjoy your blog so much! Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Melissa, Happy New Year! It's wonderful to see you posting more. We miss you! I'm sure it's a lot to balance your new, exciting position at Victoria in addition to family and other responsibilities beside blogging. Thanks for the Teatime giveaway.
God bless you this new year. I'm sure we would all love to see pictures of your new home as you settle in. Paula Romer

Kathy said...

I am so pleased to see pictures of your candy party! I always love seeing all the little touches you add to make the ordinary special. I miss seeing all of your birthday parties! Wishing you and your family a Happy and Blessed New Year.

ashley said...

so glad to have more posts from you lately!

Cindy said...

Oh Melissa....I was so excited to see your posts again!! What a fun tea party....thanks for sharing. I am feeling inspired to set up a tea party for my daughter....looking forward to seeing your creative projects, also!! So glad you are finding time to blog with your new schedule. Happy New Year!!

Anonymous said...

Melissa, I have surely missed your frequent posts. Hope you are getting settled in. I hosted a charming tea party in November and should do it more often.
The book would inspire me almost as much as your charming blog! Flaurella

Sonja Goodson said...

Hi Melissa:
I am reading the new issue of Victoria, and it reminded me of a good friend who makes wedding garters from antique lace. She did Jenna Bush's wedding garter, as well as my own niece. Here is my blog on her, she is definitely magazine worthy.

The magazine is so beautiful, I just love it. What fun you must be having!


Debra Doerksen said...

I get so excited every time that I see you have posted on your blog, your blog is my favorite. I wish that I lived close to you and had you as my friend, how fun to come to your house for tea!!!

Eileen said...

Just beautiful! I love tea parties and yours is lovely.

(Nicole) Bellenza Party Suite said...

These are really pretty ideas! I love it! The treats look divine.

Nicole (Bellenza Party Suite) said...

Love the table decor! So pretty!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin