Wednesday, September 20, 2017

P.O.S.H.: The Loveliest of Shops in Chicago



"Beauty is a nectar which intoxicates the soul." ~ T.C. Henley

While we were exploring the downtown area during our family's summer sojourn to Chicago, I crossed the street to get a better look at a storefront that caught my eye. (See that window, with its artistic rendering of area attractions, in my last post.) We should probably go in, Mary Ashley and Emma encouraged, after we lingered outside for a while taking photos.

Oh, I am so glad that we did open that door because a haven of loveliness awaited discovery.





Joe was so excited to introduce me to swanky Michigan Avenue, but little did he know that P.O.S.H -- a charming boutique in the historic Tree Story building, just steps away from our hotel -- would capture my heart.





This little antiques shop brims with a mix of European flea-market treasures, from vintage hotel and estate silver to china and giftware.





P.O.S.H. is celebrating its twentieth year in Chicago. Upon noticing my shopping bag from there later that afternoon, a clerk in a nearby department store said that this shop has outlasted many other downtown retailers due to its unique character and fabulous assortment of wares. 





Crystal stemware gleams amid old books and rustic wooden furniture.





This is the type of store that takes me hours to explore. I don't want to miss even one beautiful object!





There was plenty of pink to go around here. Swoon!





And a wealth of teatime treasures.





This sweet teapot was one of the first to catch my attention.





While perusing the pampering products at the back of the store, I couldn't resist taking a peek inside this pretty book with a dainty floral cover. (And I must admit, I am wishing that I had brought this volume home!)





There were so many pretty things tucked among these fragrant toiletries.





China spoons were definitely a temptation.





As were these sweet-smelling elixirs.





At every turn, there is a thoughtfully arranged vignette worthy of exploration, with keepsakes available at nearly every price point.





I was particularly enamored with the variety of English antiques, like this four-piece insulated chrome Heatmaster tea set.





Right away I spotted Paris in Bloom by photographer Georgianna Lane. Although I have not met Georgianna, I am always so pleased when her gorgeous work appears in Victoria. Her latest book is a must-have for all of us who dream of seeing the City of Light in all its springtime splendor -- so lovely that I bought copies for my best girlfriend and me as soon as it came out.





At P.O.S.H., I couldn't resist the stash of vintage hotel silverware. Over the years of raising a family, spoons, especially, have seemed to disappear from our flatware drawer. I really have no idea where they could have gone but love the idea of supplementing our original pattern with mismatched pieces from different makers. Choosing a trio of these pretties seemed a good place to start!





I also purchased a commemorative flour sack towel embellished with the very print that first drew me to the store.




Here is another look at that depiction, displayed in the window with Chicago Blue Plate Special dinnerware, a classic P.O.S.H. pattern manufactured in the United States by Homer Laughlin.





It has been so much fun to unpack my little bundle of treasures from this quaint boutique that the girls and I happened upon in the heart of The Windy City. Along with my tea towel and a budding collection of antique spoons, it seems I also brought home dreams of shopping at P.O.S.H. again.



"Beauty unites all things, links together flower and star, with chains more certain than those of reason. The poet, the artist, thus finds the clue which guides them in their pilgrimage throughout the world." ~ Henry James Slack

Blog Widget by LinkWithin