Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Celebrating 10 Years of A Little Loveliness





"An anniversary is a time to celebrate the joys of today, the memories of yesterday, and the hopes of tomorrow." ~ Author Unknown



I can hardly believe that a decade has passed since I started A Little Loveliness. Through the years, it has become my sanctuary -- a treasury of many of my fondest memories, deepest thoughts, and favorite creative ideas. I linger here often, smiling as I revisit old posts. Oh, the memories we have made!

Life has changed so much since I published that first post on January 23, 2008. I see this most profoundly in looking at the children. Carson, now a freshman in college, was an 8-year-old in elementary school when this journey began. Ten years ago, I was adjusting to 6-year-old Christian's kindergarten year; today, I am making peace with the fact that he is a licensed driver. Mary Ashley was in preschool, and Emma was a toddler. Today, at 14 and 11, respectively, they are growing in grace and beauty every day. I must admit, I have shed quite a few tears looking back to the early days of my blog, when there was so much little in my babies. 

Along with the private joys of keeping an online journal, I have also been immensely blessed by the opportunities this forum has brought. I closed that first post, a decade ago today, with these words:

I hope this blog will be a cozy place to meet friends from far and near to share that cup of tea. Please visit often to share a Bible verse, see the children, exchange creative ideas or even find out what's for supper. I hope when you stop by you will find a little loveliness to remind you that your cup overflows with blessings. 
So come back soon! Because from my little spot in the world, I'm flinging the doors wide, brewing a pot of tea and saying "Welcome home!"

At the time, I had no idea that so many would come -- well over 4 million, in fact, to my surprise! It has been such a blessing to connect with so many people from around the world. Through the many transitions we have faced together, your friendship has been such an encouragement to me!

Quite fittingly, it seems, this milestone comes in the midst of a busy week. Our family's brimming schedule will leave little time for celebrating, but I think there is a beauty in marking the day by savoring its precious little moments. Sipping that steaming cup of tea first thing in the morning, catching a glimpse of the pretty bloom that has lasted nearly two weeks nestled in its blush pink vase, reading a word of Scripture that speaks perfectly to where I am now, being greeted with a hug from one of my nearly grown-up teenagers -- these are the precious gifts to be unwrapped during even the most hectic of seasons.

In the coming days, I plan to share some of the most popular posts from the past decade, and there will likely be a giveaway to commemorate this anniversary.

But for today, it's just me.

Extending a hand to you.

To say thank you for bringing a little loveliness into my life.


"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honorable, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things" (Philippians 4:8).


Bigstock photo used with permission
Blog Widget by LinkWithin