Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Strawmary Shortcake's Birthday Tea

One of my greatest pleasures of motherhood is planning my children's birthday parties. Each birthday provides an opportunity to celebrate that child, and as a family we try to make the Birthday Child feel special in every way. We have stretched out our festivities, allowing the Birthday Boy or Girl to savor the birthday week with special privileges like choosing restaurants or going first when taking turns.

For our birthday parties, each child chooses his or her theme, and then my fun begins. I enjoy the creative aspects of party planning: making invitations, decorations, cakes and party favors. I try to keep the parties economical but thoughtful, with an eye to details. I hope we are creating memories our children will treasure and that their hearts will be drawn home each year for their birthdays. Nothing would thrill me more than to get a call from one of them saying, "Mom, I want my 38th birthday theme to be my doctoral dissertation on Fluorescent Analysis of Pigment Composition of Phytoplankton." ("Ooh, we could do a lot with that ... .")

The day after Mary Ashley's third birthday, she began planning her fourth: a Strawberry Shortcake tea party. Polka dots in yummy colors of light pink, dark pink and lime green set a cheery background for a cupcake-themed decor. We invited little girls from church and school for a fun-filled afternoon. I took the pictures below, but most of the photos I will be posting were taken by my brother, Nathan Prichard. He is a gifted photographer and captured many special moments during the party. I plan to post quite a few, but he took nearly 500 pictures at the party, so I have many more I wish I could share. I hope you will enjoy this glimpse into Strawmary Shortcake's berry special day!

Friends Like You Who Are So Berry Sweet

Make Celebrating Birthdays Such a Treat!


Mary Ashley's fanciful cottage cake was inspired by the children's playhouse.

Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

Tate said...

I like your blog. It's nice to see people getting to enjoy what they love to do. God Bless you.

sweeter and the bubbas said...

I LOVE the pictures. Your brother did an excellent job of capturing the moment!! :-) Mary Ashley's outfit it too cute...that is my fav. brand...I can spot it from a mile away! I also LOVE the club house. I'm sure the kiddos will have wonderful memories of it. You have it decorated so cute...I'm sure the boys ripped down all the bows when everyone left, huh? We missed you last night. Keep the blogging comin' your doing a fabulous job!!

Robyn said...

Parties are SO FUN at your house!!! Amazing.

Kristi said...

Beautiful pictures - I especially L-O-V-E the invitations! I really enjoy making invitations for get togethers. I have some inspiration for Kate's upcoming day! :)

Becky Welch said...

I thought I had left a comment, but I guess I did something wrong. Anyways, like you I love my childrens' birthdays!! I have been "blessed" that my 5 year old always wants to have a theme that you cannot find in the store!!! It is so much fun planning and spending one on one time with that child!! We are getting ready for a Little House on the Prairie party at the end of March. Any ideas?

Melissa Lester said...

Becky,
I love the Little House theme for your little "Half Pint." I will be thinking about that. The first things that pop into my mind are using quilts for tablecloths and decorating with wildflowers, a dollhouse/Lincoln Log cabin and rustic accessories. What fun!
Melissa

Robyn said...

I just got off the phone with Regina Frost and she wanted me to tell you hello. She saw your blog, loved it and will keep reading it. She tried to leave a comment, but apparently it didn't accept anonymous comments, so I'm leaving one for her.

Rebecca said...

Those pictures are wonderful. I am sure every girl that attended had a wonderful time.

Melissa Lester said...

Hi Robyn,
Thanks for the message from Regina! I still miss her and would love to reconnect. I am still figuring this blogging thing out, but I think I can accept anonymous comments now.
Melissa

Anita McFarland said...

That is an adorable party! You are so talented! I know that is an understatement...and I see it runs in your family. Great Pictures. Can't wait to see more.

Three plus Me said...

Berry Beautiful party! Mary Ashley is such a sweet girl. She's lucky to have a creative mom!

Betsy said...

Wow, beautiful- all of it! Does your brother have a website? I love checking out new photography websites. I love bday parties too, the boys are starting to ask for "destination" parties (aka Pump it Up, etc) and I'm dreading it.

Leah said...

This is beautiful! You are so creative! You have such a wonderful gift and I'm sure your kiddos will be calling you at 38!

Jennifer@DoingTheNextThing said...

Melissa,
Welcome to blogdom! I'm Michelle Driver's sister, and she sent me a link to your site. M.A.'s birthday looks adorable! I love the decorations on the chandelier... I think my Meg would like something like that for her b-day in March. I look forward to reading more from you!
Blessings,
Jennifer
you can find me at www.dothenextthing.blogspot.com

Nancy Hood said...

I found you through Leah Hunt's page and have added you to the list of blogs I stalk! ha ha Love the girliness of your blog~don't you just love that He made us women!!! Look forward to keeping up with The Lester's and reading the items you list in your side bar.

Vonda Chalfant said...

What a great party! I think it would rival any party that Fancy Nancy would plan!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin