Thursday, May 29, 2008

A Ladies Guide to New Orleans

Joe and I spent several days in New Orleans last week. This Southern city has quite a reputation. Many people think of New Orleans as a hard-partying town that needs to be cleaned up, while others think of it as the city that Katrina washed away. And both of these ideas bare some truth. In 2005, the nation watched with horror as Hurricane Katrina brought catastrophic damage to New Orleans and surrounding Gulf areas. But in the three years since, much work has been done to rebuild the city. And although there is still work to be done, the city is eager to welcome tourists. Still many are hesitant to visit New Orleans because of its hard-partying reputation. And there is certainly a wild side to this city. But for many, the noise of Bourbon Street's party scene has drowned out the lovelier notes this city has to offer. There is so much more to New Orleans than Mardi Gras. It is a city rich with history, music and culture. I hope you will see the softer side of New Orleans through the images from our trip. Please scroll down to see the sites. Along the way we'll admire the architecture and foliage, sample Cajun cuisine, and roam the French Quarter searching for treasures. And as the jazz music plays on, you might just find that you have fallen in love with New Orleans.

9 comments:

sweeter and the bubbas said...

Girl, let me just say you need to send this "article" to a travel magazine(or Southern Living or Southern Lady) to be published!! You did a great job of documenting everything!! Your pictures tell a story in themselves.

So Joe wouldn't negotiate on the $600 outfit! hahaha! I can't wait to hear about what you got from OE... Love them!

We went to NO on our Senior trip and these pictures brought back some memories. Thanks!! :-)

Jamie said...

Your pictures are great! Looks like y'all had a great time. You deserve it :-)

Debbie said...

Hi Melissa! Thanks so much for stopping by last night. What a pleasant surprise! I love meeting new friends of a like mind. Your pictures are gorgeous, and I need to spend some time camping out on your blog to get to know you better! I will be back, but just wanted to pop in and say "Hi" for now.

Jennifer Driver said...

Your pictures are beautiful! It looks like you and Joe were able to do a lot of neat things on your trip. I can't wait to see that precious outfit for your niece! :)

Dawn said...

I certainly want to visit New Orleans based on your posts!

Thank you for the comment on my blog. Several friends and I try to include a Bible study around Thursday for a post. We call them Thursday Thoughts.

Thanks again!

Heather said...

Oooooh, I love this post! I'm from Louisiana and I agree with everything you said. It IS a beautiful city and I fall in love with it every time I go back to visit.

Mrs. Romero said...

We have really been considering a trip (my mom was born in covington) and I think these photos have helped make the decision. I love how you caught that New Orleans charm.

southern queen bee said...

Thank you for featuring the BIG EASY in such a positive light..I found your blog through my sisters , have enjoyed it, and plan to stop back by...a girl from the south ,MISSY

Three plus Me said...

Glad you and Joe had a wonderful getaway! You took fabulous pics!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin