Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Beautiful Beaufort, South Carolina



When Joe and I spent a few days in Hilton Head Island, S.C., I took an afternoon excursion to nearby Beaufort.




Founded in 1711 on the South Carolina coast, I happened by during this historic city's tri-centennial year. Learn more about Beaufort's history here.




I enjoyed a peaceful stroll along the water's edge. Although all was quiet this rainy afternoon, the waterfront plays host to festivals and special events throughout the year.




Many movies have been filmed in Beaufort, like the one cleverly referenced in the tour boat pictured above.




I reached Beaufort late afternoon, but a break in the rain allowed me to catch the last narrated horse-drawn buggy tour of the day. I couldn't wait to hear the stories behind some of Beaufort's beautiful antebellum homes.




I snapped a photo of the gracious home above as I drove into downtown Beaufort, but captured the images that follow during my tour.




The William Elliot House, known as The Anchorage, was the first home we passed. It was used as a hospital and mission house during the Civil War.




This quaint church building caught my eye as we passed.




Our tour guide pointed out that the porch ceilings on many of the homes are painted haint blue, which he said was thought to prevent insects from building nests on them. A friend from Charleston tells me local folklore says haint blue was to keep the bad haints, or spirits, away.




You can find more information on the historic homes of Beauford here.




















I hope to return to Beaufort one day to explore more of the city. When I do, I hope to stay at the historic Rhett House Inn, pictured above. Named "one of the best inns in the South" by Southern Living and cited by Travel and Leisure as "the perfect place to be," it looks like the perfect spot to step back in time for a walk through history.



"Three centuries in the making, Beaufort is the leading gem on South Carolina's treasured coast. With an active and engaged community, a National Landmark Historic District, a strong military presence, a vital tourism market and some of the best fishing anywhere, Beaufort has a way of reeling you in." -- The City of Beaufort

10 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

What lovely homes.

once in a blue moon said...

so many cute houses~

Marsha @Spots and Wrinkles said...

Oh my goodness, what wonderful photos. It was almost like getting to take a little mini-vacation just looking at them.

Thank you for sharing them.
Blessings to you - Marsha

Sewconsult said...

The beautiful houses of the South is just one of the reasons while I love living in the South. Great tour. Thanks for taking us along.
Beckie in Brentwood, TN

Think Pink Days said...

Just looking at those pictures, makes me feel warm! It is still our winter here in Australia and it is just what I needed! Thank you !

Vanessa said...

Beautiful pictures. I too feel like I went on vacation with you. Was there a little breeze? I wanted there to be just a little breeze.

Susan said...

Love your photos. I lived in Beaufort in 1965 just married to Marine Corp Lt. Time has been very kind to Beaufort. It was a sleepy little town back then. We drove through last Spring to enjoy the scenery. Susan VH

margie said...

Because we lived in Charleston, SC, for 32 years, we learned a lot about the haint blue ceilings on the porches. According to the "stories" in Charleston, it is to keep the bad haints (or spirits) away. The blue represents water and supposedly the spirits won't cross water. There is so much folklore in the Lowcountry of SC. Glad you enjoyed your time there. The pictures you took are beautiful.
Margie Austin

Shea Williamson said...

Melissa, My family lives in Hilton Head now and I ADORE Beaufort. There is another little gem there and that is Bluffton. There is a wonderful farmers market in Bluffton that would be right up your ally! There is someone who makes homemade bread and pastas that my mother-in-law adores. She goes weekly and I love when we are there and I get to experience it. There is also a beautiful old church that you would so appreciate. It is the Church of the Cross and it sits close to the water with big old live oaks hanging around it. Beautiful place. Makes me miss home and the lowcountry so badly. There is nothing like it. And by the way your Lily party was terrific. I shop at Wexford when we visit and I always get so excited. Pink and green just make me happy. Did you go into Island Child? Beautiful things for children. Thank you for sharing!

Melissa Lester said...

Margie, thanks for the correction. I updated the post so it would be accurate.

Shea, thanks for telling me about Bluffton! We hope to go back to HHI, so I will definitely plan an excursion. All the places you mentioned sound fabulous. And I did go to Island Child. There was a wrought iron cradle there that I was tempted to buy for the sheer beauty of it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin