Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Make a Button Monogram

Yesterday I shared the new Victoria Classics special interest publication, Monograms. (Enter here to get your name in the teacup for a complimentary copy of this issue signed by Editor-in-Chief Phyllis Hoffman DePiano.) While we're on the subject of artistic personalization, I wanted to share this button monogram I stitched earlier this year. I made it to use as decoration for Mary Ashley's Birthday Craft Fair, but I love it so much I have kept it in my sitting room, which is also my sewing room.

For this project, I drew a script M on linen fabric with a blue fabric pen. I sewed an overlapping line of inexpensive plastic buttons over the letter, then filled out the design by stitching on a variety of buttons. I mounted the completed design to a self-stick mounting board I found in the embroidery section at Hobby Lobby and framed the piece in a discarded frame.

The frame I used was originally gold. While I no longer favor the brassy tone, the pattern seemed to suit the button monogram. So I used a little watered-down acrylic paint to whitewash the frame.

Now this monogram is cute as a button and a perfect accent for my sewing room.

"Buttons and patches and the cold wind blowing,
The days pass quickly when I am sewing."
~ Author Unknown


Rach said...

Very cute!

Pat@Life At Lydias House said...

What a lovely project! It turned out beautiful! Actually, I guess our non-sewing friends could even hot glue this project!

Melissa Lester said...

Thanks, Pat. You are so right. Stitching the buttons was easy, but hot glue would work well, too.

The Vosslers said...

Gorgeous! I want to do one just like it for my daughter's room!

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Lovely, quite lovely!

It's been such a long time since I've been to visit.... it was nice to catch up. Your blog is still very beautiful.

julie said...

so very pretty....beautiful!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin