Monday, July 13, 2015

My All-Time Favorite Chicken Recipe


If I ever open a country inn, this is an entree you can expect to find on the dinner menu. Succulent and delicious, Roasted Rosemary Chicken fills the house with the most enticing aromas. My dear friend Stacey's trips to Colonial Williamsburg inspired this recipe. She developed a dish similar to one she discovered during her travels, and today I am sharing my take on the version she served once to our family. This recipe is definitely a keeper -- and one you can feel free to make your own!







Although you could prepare this recipe in a traditional roasting pan, one of my secrets to success is an upright roaster from Reco Romertopf. The company offered me a sample awhile ago, and I was so pleased with it, I actually purchased a second roaster so I could prepare two birds at once for company. Although I was initially concerned that roasting the bird in this manner would dry out the chicken, my fears were quickly laid to rest. The results were mouthwatering!






Since I'm not opening a bed-and-breakfast anytime soon, I am sharing this recipe for Roasted Rosemary Chicken. If you come for dinner at my house, don't be surprised if this is the main course, accompanied with garlic cheese grits, green beans, fruit, and freshly buttered bread. Simple yet flavorful -- comfort food at its best! 




Roasted Rosemary Chicken

1 roasting chicken
8 sprigs rosemary
1 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground pepper, divided
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2-1 teaspoon flour
Garnish: fresh rosemary

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Rinse chicken, and pat dry with paper towels. Stuff cavity with 5 to 6 sprigs of rosemary, and place chicken on an upright roaster. 

In a small bowl, combine seasoned salt, garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and paprika. Using your fingers, separate skin from breast, and sprinkle approximately a third of the seasoning onto the chicken. Rub remaining two thirds of seasoning over bird, coating skin well. Remove leaves from remaining 2 to 3 sprigs of rosemary, and sprinkle these between skin and breast.

Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until temperature at thickest part of breast reaches 165 degrees. To crisp the skin, raise the oven temperature to 450 degrees, and cook for 5 to 10 minutes more or until skin turns a deep golden brown. Remove from oven, and let rest for 10 minutes before transferring to a platter or carving.

To make a gravy, strain fats from basin of roaster and transfer juices to a small saucepan. Over medium to medium-high heat, bring juices to a rolling boil. Sprinkle in flour gradually, stirring briskly with a whisk to keep clumps from forming. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until mixture has reduced to desired consistency. Garnish chicken with rosemary, if desired, and serve with gravy.






This is one of my favorite family meals and a dish I have served for holidays and special occasions, as well. If you try this recipe for Roasted Rosemary Chicken, I would love to hear how it turns out!



"The table is a meeting place, a gathering ground, the source of sustenance and nourishment, festivity, safety, and satisfaction. A person cooking is a person giving: Even the simplest food is a gift." ~ Laurie Colwin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin