Thursday, July 9, 2015

Screened In Porch Before & After


Finally, I am ready to share before-and-after views of our screened-in porch. Thank you for your patience! It has taken me awhile to complete the final details of the makeover, and photographing our new space has been a challenge. As we begin, let me give you a little background on my inspiration for this outdoor haven.



One of the first things I fell in love with at our hillside home was its cozy screened-in porch. Because this outdoor room is perched high in the treetops, I started calling it our tree house. Without further delay, let me welcome you to our new space!





Isn't it pretty? Keep scrolling for lots of photos and sources.





The pair of shabby chic bird cages on the coffee table was the first purchase I made for the porch. I found these candle holders more than a year ago at Tuesday Morning. I use a candle in the smaller one, but a vase in the larger one is perfect for fresh flowers.

Now for a few shots of the transformation!


Before and After


I snapped this photo after Joe had already painted the floor, which was originally untreated wood. The previous homeowners left behind the palm tree and a wind chime. Keep scrolling to see how this corner of the porch looks today.







Before:




After:








Before:



I don't have a good shot of this view, but these vignettes will show you this side of the room.





The ceiling paint is the color Dayflower by Behr. Suspended from drapery clips hanging from large cup hooks, canvas drop cloths make easy curtains. 





The homeowners also left a pair of patio chairs, which we left outside under the porch for many months. After a good scrubbing, they made a nice addition to our seating -- saving me money on buying everything new.





Continuing our nesting theme, this chair cushion from Pier 1 turned out to be too small for the chairs we are using, but it works nicely as a throw pillow.





I will spare you a photo of the television mounted on this wall, but the shelves below are from Kohl's. I wanted an inexpensive option for this area, so I purchased the Linon Anna 3-Shelf Bookcase and put it together without the back and painted the piece with chalk paint from Michaels.





A pair of petite wooden crates, also from Michaels, offer convenient storage for flowers, magazines and other sundries.





A framed photo from our recent vacation adds a personal touch. Aren't they precious?





On the bottom shelf, I framed a favorite quote: 


“To sit in the shade
on a fine day
and look upon verdure
is the most perfect
refreshment.”
~Jane Austen


To the right of that print sits a practical addition -- an All Natural Mosquito Repellent Lantern, provided complements of Stinger. The company's offer of a sample from their new product line came just as we were completing our makeover, and it has been so effective at keeping our outdoor space free from bugs. To get one for your space, click the link below.





Continuing our way around the room, this trio of canvases adds color to our painted brick. (Joe used leftover deck paint from the floor and wall. I will update this post with the color if we still have it.) The focal point of our grouping is a photo turned painterly artwork from Canvas Pop. Clockwise from there, the bouquet of roses is from HomeGoods, and the bundle of tulips is from Pier 1. The tulips were originally orange, but I painted over those in my signature colors.




On the second chair, a pillow from Pier 1 adds softness. My father was kind enough to stop by and drill into the mortar so I could hang this gallery. I tried a couple of unsuccessful methods of hanging these canvases before going back to basics -- asking Daddy for help!





Our love seat, coffee table and side table were from the Presidio outdoor collection from Kohl's. Find the complete line here. It was challenging to find pastels in my price range, but I am very pleased with the Teal cushions on this piece.

I am totally smitten with the work of Karen Harvey Cox, the artist behind French Script. I discovered her Etsy business while writing Favorite Things for Victoria and knew immediately that her romantic designs would be perfect for our porch. I purchased a trio of pillow slips and a rug from her charming shop, and these easy-living pieces work beautifully outdoors. I have already had to wash the rug, but it still looks pristine. One of the blessings of this transaction was corresponding with Karen, and she is such a lovely person on top of being such a talented painter.





I took this photo to highlight the little posies but also wanted to mention that the lamp is from Kirklands.





From first sight, I have adored the Sunset Pier Deluxe Chair from Pier 1. Find it in Gray here. The cushion is also from Pier 1, although this pattern may not be available now. Throw pillow from French Script.





This sweet little heart painted by Kathy Murphy -- a gift from her daughter, my friend Carrie -- adds one last loving detail, slipped onto a hook by the door.





Here is one final look at our vantage point from the porch.





And one last lingering view of our nest in the clouds.



"A street house, a neat house,

Be sure to wipe your feet house

Is not my kind of house at all  

Let's go live in a tree house.” 

― Shel Silverstein


Blog Widget by LinkWithin