Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Chicken Poppy Seed Salad

 

This chicken poppy seed salad was a lunchtime treat on our recent Lester family beach trip. My sister-in-law Shannon made this recipe from the new cookbook Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood.

Chicken Poppy Seed Salad
2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 celery stalks, finely chopped
4 cups seedless grapes, halved
2 cups slivered almonds
2 cups mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
2 tablespoons dried dill
Boil the chicken in a large pot filled with water until done, about 45 minutes. Drain the chicken and set aside to cool. Once the chicken is cooled, dice into small pieces and place in a large mixing bowl. Add the celery, grapes, almonds, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, poppy seeds and dill. Mix until the salad is fully combined. Store in the refrigerator. Serves 12.



Shannon was kind enough to pick up a copy of Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood for me during my recovery, and what a beautiful book it is! Every recipe is accompanied by a full-page photo of the dish. I have already found several I can't wait to try. Find this new classic southern cookbook discounted here.

13 comments:

Rach said...

Delicious and beautiful!

hip-chick said...

ooh that looks so good. Nice and light and refreshing for a hot summer evening.

Bonnie said...

This salad looks wonderful and so pretty on the plate. Great photo. I hope to try it soon. Thanks for sharing. Looks like a great cookbook.

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I have her first cookbook and it's full of great recipes. This one will definitely be a must to add to my collection.

The salad looks wonderful.

Hope you are feeling better.

Carol said...

Sounds yummy, I love chicken salad. Can't wait to try this, thanks for sharing.
Carol in GA

julie said...

ok! yum! i might have to get me that book! i hope you are doing well!

Vonda said...

That sounds delicious! I may try it this weekend when Mike's parents are here.

Anonymous said...

Melissa, Thanks for sharing the recipe. I love chicken salad! I was thinking maybe I should pick up a copy of the cookbook for my daughter who has a birthday coming up in September.

I hope you are continuing to get stronger every day. Take care! Debbi

Jan said...

Yum! I have really been craving chicken salad lately. Not sure why. This one sounds and looks especially divine!
Hope you are continuing to feel stronger with each passing day.

Shell in your Pocket said...

That chicken salad looks wonderful!

sandy toe

Nancy's Notes said...

I love any chicken salad recipe and this one sounds scrumptious! Thanks for sharing.

Nancy
Nancy's Notes

Donna @ Party Wishes said...

I have been on a chicken salad kick lately! Thanks for the recipe! I've been making mine with pecans, celery and grapes. I think I will try this with the dill and almonds.
Hope your recovery is going quickly :)

Pat said...

Melissa thank you for posting this. I found out this past Tuesday that a friend had taken her own life and this post comforts me. Your blog is beautiful and your children Gorgeous.

Pat

Blog Widget by LinkWithin