Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Emma Giggles

 

Eternally Grateful
Five-year-old Emma has become quite adept at expressing her gratitude to God in her nightly prayers: "Thank you for our home; thank you for our family; thank you for our teachers; thank you for our toys; thank you for our sins ... ."

Keeping It Light
Emma and her preschool friend Alysssa were playing nearby recently when they noticed me working on my Relay for Life cupcake display. The colorful stained glass window graphic I was framing caught their eye, so I read the girls the quote in the center of the picture: "People are like stained glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the light is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within."
Sensing the opportunity for a teachable moment, I asked the girls if they knew what that quote meant. Exchanging confused looks, Emma and Alyssa shook their heads no.
I explained that we can have light inside us and asked them if they knew where the light would come from. Again, they were perplexed, so I gave them a hint: "Who does the Bible say is the Light of the World?"
Alyssa brightened and offered tentatively, "God?"
I nodded, encouraging the girls, "Jesus. Jesus is the Light."
At this, Emma wrinkled her face in dismay, shocked at what she had just heard: "The light in us is Cheez-Its?"

Broken Up About It
My sweet girl Emma is so affectionate. "Oh, Mommy," she said recently as she clasped my hand, "I love you in pieces."


"Mirth is God's medicine. Everybody ought to bathe in it." -- Henry Ward Beecher

8 comments:

Love Being A Nonny said...

LOVE that you wrote these things down!! Somehow we think we won't forget them, but we DO!! Precious! (And such a beautiful picture of her!!)

Dallas Shaw said...

gorgeous
dallas
http://dillydallas.blogspot.com

Kristen said...

How sweet and funny! I totally love the things that little kids say. Glad you are writing them down to remember later. And Emma will love reading them, too!

Jan's Blog said...

Absolutely Precious. These darling daughters are going to treasure these writings in the years to come. What a gift this blog will be to them!

Nancy said...

I love these heard and seen moments.

Goosegirl said...

So cute!! And both of my girls feel that way about Cheez-its, so that may not be far from the truth to them. heehee!!

Angela McRae said...

I love reading your sweet family stories -- and that you have a mind that remembers to record them! I may feel a Cheez-Its craving coming on, though ...

dard said...

the girl was so cute... and i love your post i love to read it..
Website design Dallas

Blog Widget by LinkWithin