Friday, May 20, 2011

Sitting Pretty: Bench Makeover

 

One of my spring projects has been making over a little bench my in-laws passed to us this year.

Before:


 

I love the graceful lines and carved details of this piece. Re-caning the damaged seat was an option, but with a houseful of children the more practical choice at this stage of life was to add an upholstered cushion. Perhaps one day I will restore the caned seat, but for now I am quite pleased with the results of my bench re-do.

After:




Here is the new bench, sitting pretty with a bouquet of fresh peonies.




Paint color, Farrow & Ball's All-White; foam and batting, Hobby Lobby; fabric, Hancock Fabrics; decorative trim, Hobby Lobby; peonies, Fresh Market. Painting directions: Cindy's Romantic Home.




I'm holding out hope that our busy weekend schedule -- brimming with baseball, ballet and more -- will allow us at least a moment to sit back and smell the peonies. And when we do, we'll be sitting pretty on our newly-upholstered bench.


(I'm linking this post to Show-and-Tell Friday at My Romantic Home.)


Join me next week for details on the girls' spring ballet recital!

15 comments:

Cindy ~ My Romantic Home said...

Wow!!! I love it!! The fabric you chose is perfect!!!

I was just on your blog earlier today, catching up! I feel like I'm watching your kids grow up before my very eyes! I can't believe how fast the years are going!!

Mrs. Cozy Home said...

That is BEAUTIFUL -- so crisp and pretty.

SimpleThingsSweetLife said...

So beautiful...the lines of the bench, the white paint, and the fabric...pink and green are such happy, fresh colors. Great job!

Donna

once in a blue moon said...

so fresh and cute, i can even smell it too :)

Kristen said...

Oh, how very cute! I LOVE it!!! The colors are fantastic. I'm a red girl myself, at least for my house colors, but I always think I need to add some pink somewhere! I enjoy it so much also.

The peonies are marvelous - we had a few bloom in our yard, but not very many and not for long enough!

Lynn said...

What a pretty remake of the bench! The fabric is very pretty, peonies are one of my favorite flowers. It all looks so great together!

Valerie said...

Mary Catherine and I think you did a fantastic job on this bench. It turned out absolutely beautiful!

Valerie said...

Just read your Stained Glass cupcake post...Congratulations!!!

Achter de schermen bij de Sprookjesboom said...

I love your new bench! Beautiful work!Sweet greets from the Netherlands,

Rosalie

Cristin said...

Love the bench redo...and the peonies are amazing! Enjoy your weekend!

Anna Patricia said...

WOW great job!

Emmy said...

I have a secretary that belonged to my grandmother and I have been wanting to paint it but a little reluctant for sentimental reasons. I know you appreciate gifts from the past so how to do you decide what gets painted and what stays the same. It's a dark color and I would love to paint it linen white - can you share your thoughts on this..
Emmy

Mary Beth said...

Wow! So pretty! I got a beautiful, but very "loved" (aka damaged) armchair from my grandparent's estate last week. You've inspired me to give it a much-needed makeover. I'll share it with you when I'm done.
Thanks for sharing!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Truly a lovely bench! I love what you've done (and of couse the color combination is the best!)

www.espaƱa-3d.com said...

It cannot have effect in reality, that is what I consider.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin