Friday, May 20, 2011

Sitting Pretty: Bench Makeover

 

One of my spring projects has been making over a little bench my in-laws passed to us this year.

Before:


 

I love the graceful lines and carved details of this piece. Re-caning the damaged seat was an option, but with a houseful of children the more practical choice at this stage of life was to add an upholstered cushion. Perhaps one day I will restore the caned seat, but for now I am quite pleased with the results of my bench re-do.

After:




Here is the new bench, sitting pretty with a bouquet of fresh peonies.




Paint color, Farrow & Ball's All-White; foam and batting, Hobby Lobby; fabric, Hancock Fabrics; decorative trim, Hobby Lobby; peonies, Fresh Market. Painting directions: Cindy's Romantic Home.




I'm holding out hope that our busy weekend schedule -- brimming with baseball, ballet and more -- will allow us at least a moment to sit back and smell the peonies. And when we do, we'll be sitting pretty on our newly-upholstered bench.


(I'm linking this post to Show-and-Tell Friday at My Romantic Home.)


Join me next week for details on the girls' spring ballet recital!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin