Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Valentine Tea in Wonderland




Alice: If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?




The Saturday before Valentine's Day, our dear friend Nancy Itson invited the girls to join her in Wonderland for a magical tea party.







Mad Hatter: Would you like a little more tea?
Alice: Well, I haven't had any yet, so I can't very well take more.
March Hare: Ah, you mean you can't very well take less.
Mad Hatter: Yes. You can always take more than nothing.







Upon their arrival at the Itsons' home, the girls found keys outside the door with a note instructing them to unlock the door to Wonderland. When they turned the key, they were greeted by the Mad Hatter himself.








White Rabbit: [singing] I'm late/ I'm late/ For a very important date./ No time to say "Hello, Goodbye."/ I'm late, I'm late, I'm late, I'm late.







Nancy's table was a visual feast, with so many beautiful details to behold. This was a royal affair, after all.






White Rabbit: Her Imperial Highness, Her Grace, Her Excellency, Her Royal Majesty, the Queen of Hearts! [crowd cheers]







Nancy found free printable "Eat Me" and "Drink Me" tags here.







Mad Hatter: Do you care for more tea?
Alice: Why, yes, I'm very fond of tea.
March Hare: If you don't care for tea, you could at least make polite conversation!







The tea table held many sweet treats, but the sweetest surprise was the last to drop in.







[Alice falls down the rabbit hole and her dress poofs up like a parachute]
Alice: Well, after this I should think nothing of falling down stairs.






Nancy does not hesitate to pull out her finest pieces when children come to call, and she believes they rise to the occasion. The treasured teapot above was a gift from an elderly friend.








Cheshire Cat: Oh, by the way, if you'd really like to know, he went that way.
Alice: Who did?
Cheshire Cat: The White Rabbit.
Alice: He did?
Cheshire Cat: Who did?
Alice: The White Rabbit.
Cheshire Cat: What rabbit?
Alice: But didn't you just say -- I mean -- Oh, dear.







"Drink Me," this glass encourages. But do you want peach tea or raspberry lemonade?






Daisy: What kind of garden do you come from?
Alice: Oh, I don't come from any garden.
Daisy: Do you suppose she is a wildflower?






The Queen of Hearts made a royal edict for fun, and the Mad Hatter kept all the girls laughing with his silly antics. I heard one little girl exclaim, "This is the best tea party ever!"






Doorknob: Read the directions and directly you will be directed in the right direction.







White rabbits, clocks, playing cards and whimsical elements brought the theme together.








Alice: Oh, pooh, I'm not afraid of you. Why, you're just a pack of cards.





This party gave Nancy a wonderful opportunity to mix several favorite patterns. (Clockwise from top left: (1) Libby glasses from Dollar Tree added sparkle to the table and mixed well with finer pieces; (2) This pair of teacups was my favorite vignette at the party (top cup, unmarked antique; bottom cup, Crown Potteries Co.); (3) The lacy white teapot is  from I. Godinger & Co.; (4) Nancy's husband, Dennis, bought this set of Spring Night by Keito china for their daughter, Haley, when she was about 10 years old; (5) The silver handled teapot is from Modern China Institute; (6) Haley was happy to lend her Spring Night luncheon plates and teacups to the occasion.) 






Alice: When I get home I shall write a book about this place ... If I ever do get home.




There is still more to come, so join me tomorrow to sample Nancy's tea party menu!


Blog Widget by LinkWithin