Thursday, August 9, 2012

Historic Homes of Amelia Island




I did not immediately fall for Amelia Island.


I don't know quite what I expected, but I must admit that I was a little disappointed when we first reached this lesser-known Florida destination. It seemed quiet and low-key -- which is nice, of course -- but I didn't know if the island held promise for more.


Well, sometimes the best relationships start out that way.




We scheduled a horse-drawn carriage ride the first evening we arrived, and when we reached Amelia Island's Historic Fernandina Beach, I began to fall in love. It seemed everywhere I looked there was another beautiful home, tempting cafe or intriguing shop to discover. Join me as we take a look at some of the homes clustered around the charming downtown.


























I couldn't wait to visit The Hoyt House Bed & Breakfast for afternoon tea. I'll share details of our lovely afternoon in an upcoming post.





Although I was slow to warm to Amelia Island, by the end of our first evening the charms of Fernandina Beach had won me over. Join me tomorrow to discover some of the best shops and restaurants the island has to offer. I know you'll fall in love with Amelia Island, too!



Please vote for me in Taste of Home's search for Mrs. Holiday! You can find my video submission by liking this page here. I would appreciate your daily vote. And be sure to enter the Kat-n-Ty giveaway here. I will announce the winner tomorrow.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin