Monday, August 25, 2008

Unbearably Cute Cookie



I have been making this cookie recipe as long as I can remember. My mother and I discovered peanut butter balls in a cookbook I was given as a preschooler, A Child's First Book of Cooking. When we first tried the recipe, I dutifully rolled the sticky dough into balls. As my skills progressed, I crisscrossed the tines of a fork to make classic peanut butter cookies. Before too long, I was tucking a Hershey's Kiss into each cookie. And by high school I was fashioning the dough into all kinds of shapes.

Teddy bears were my favorite design, so I felt inspired to revive this recipe when I learned that Christian's first-grade class was planning a teddy bear picnic. So I pulled out my dogeared 1975 cookbook and invited my children to join me in the kitchen. Always eager to bake, they had a great time shaping -- and sampling -- the dough. As our cookie baked, the wonderful aroma of peanut butter balls filled our house with warmth, blending yesterday's cherished memories of childhood with today's treasured moments of motherhood.


Peanut Butter Balls

1 cup sugar

1 cup peanut butter

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 egg

Heat oven to 250 degrees. Mix ingredients, and roll into 1" balls. Bake on cookie sheet until browned.




I doubled the peanut butter ball recipe above to make this jumbo-size cookie. To make a teddy bear, roll dough into a ball and flatten it on a cookie sheet to make the head. Add smaller dough balls to make the ears and to add details to the face. Shape bigger balls of dough to make the body and legs. Roll tubes of dough to make the arms, and use scraps to make a bow tie. Lightly press a knife into the dough to add details, and add the finishing touches with chocolate chips and Hershey's Kisses. Bake until golden brown, and allow the cookie to cool before gently easing it onto a serving piece.

23 comments:

Laura said...

What a wonderful bear cookie! Thanks for sharing it!

Michelle said...

This is so cute! I know that your children had a lot of fun making the bear. Thanks for the recipe.

Carly Winborne said...

Adorable! It makes me want to make one today. I only wish I had the occasion of a teddy bear picnic, too. Just might have to create one...

Rachel said...

how absolutely adorable!!!!

Sydney said...

ADORABLE!
What a cute idea!

Leah said...

PRECIOUS!!

Anonymous said...

How cute. Do you add flour? Or did I miss it?
Thanks

Melissa Lester said...

Nope, just those four ingredients: peanut butter, sugar, egg and vanilla. That's it!

odomfamilyfun said...

This is the best cookie bear ever! Thanks for sharing :)
Brittany

Cindy ~ My Romantic Home said...

Wow, I'm so impressed! That is so cute! The recipes sounds good, it's making my mouth water! I love peanut butter cookies!

Kris said...

That is one cute cookie! YUM!!! I think I might make this our first baking project when the cold weather hits! Thanks for the recipe!

christie said...

That is the cutest cookie I have ever seen!

Jennifer P. said...

Too cute to eat!!! You are an artist with cookie dough!

And the back to school pictures are so cute. The kids look as clean and shiny as the apples!

Becky Welch said...

Again, you amaze me!

Live.Love.Eat said...

You're right, this is crazy cute!!!

Joy in the Burbs... said...

You could sell this idea to the Great American Cookie Company. I'm loving this cookie bear.
It's precious. Oh, and so are your children. Love all the pictures. and Congratulations on being featured on BATW. I'll bookmark your site. I want to come back. I'm a former resident of Hoover, AL. I loved it there. Many Blessings,
Joy

Breanne Vasquez said...

Soo cute. I am going to have to make this. Cute blog.

Pamela said...

Oh my goodness these are so stinkin' cute!

teacupsandpoodles said...

This is soooo very sweet and I can't wait to surprise the kids with one! I also am excited to try your mocha punch recipe you shared! You have a lovely blog and I added you to my blog list today.
Sincerely,
Mary Ann

Tracy P. said...

Great idea! Thanks so much for linking up, Melissa!

Lynn said...

This is really cute. Do you have to have some artistic talent to make it turn out so good? Just checkin'. :)

The Mrs. said...

that is adorable! If only my son werent allergic to peanuts I'd be all over these!

shop tienda erotica said...

There's no doubt, the guy is completely right.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin