Friday, January 22, 2010

Slumber Party Notes


Sleepover Munchies: Friday night we kicked off Mary Ashley's slumber party with supper. Her first menu suggestion was chicken noodle soup and black eyed peas, but that didn't give me a lot to work with. So we went with her second choice: poppy seed chicken with rice, green beans, fruit salad, rolls, cupcakes and spumoni ice cream. Yum!

Saturday morning we enjoyed a simple breakfast menu of bacon and pancakes with strawberries and whipped cream. Lemon-slush punch was a special treat for the little girls. My sweet friend Lori Adkins shared this refreshing recipe with me. She served it at her wedding to rave reviews. I made it for our New Year's Day brunch, and set aside a bag of the frozen mix to pull out for the slumber party.


Lemon-Slush Punch
12 ounces frozen orange juice concentrate
12 ounces frozen lemonade
46 ounces unsweetened pineapple juice
9 cups warm water
2 1/2 cups sugar
28 ounces ginger ale
Mix sugar and water until dissolved. Add juices. Freeze in 1 or 2 gallon freezer bags. Take out 3 hours before serving to thaw. Put in punch bowl and add ginger ale (cold if possible). Note: This should be slushy. A dull knife may be needed to chop it up some.



Slumber Party Fun. Joe's sister gave the girls the game Hullabaloo for Christmas, and they have really enjoyed it. The girls at the party enjoyed playing several rounds, although you do have to keep the group quiet in order to hear the directions. The biggest hit of the party was the gift at the top of Mary Ashley's wish list: Bendaroos! The girls enjoyed covering our walls with all kinds of artistic creations, and my boys have made some impressive works of art in the days since.



Sleepy Head Favors: Earlier this week, I shared photos of the pajamas I made for the guests at our sleepover. I was so proud of the girls! They were so sweet and well-mannered. As a reward for doing so well at their first slumber party, as the girls left we let them choose a shimmering body mist spray. I found these at JC Penney. I loved the colors, and they coordinated perfectly with our cupcake theme.





From start to finish, Mary Ashley's slumber party was a dream come true -- much like the Birthday Girl herself!

13 comments:

Mrs. Cozy Home said...

Inspired!! I always look to your blog for ideas whenever I have an event coming up, and I always find a handful! :)

Amanda said...

perfectly precious! my charlotte and her best friend holyn and her mom and i will be taking the girls to a surprise overnight h\hotel stay...followed by brunch at american girl-chicago...i plan to use some of your cute ideas for our "slumber party"...so fun!

The Martys said...

Oh my goodness. That has to be one of the sweetest birthday parties I have seen. I wish I had half your talent. I love the idea of the bed on the table. So clever. Just love reading your blogs for all you inspiring ideas.

Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog and it is just darling. I am a mommy to 3 beautiful children and like, you, enjoy making special memories.
I bake, cook, craft and love planning special events for my children. We don't even need an occasion.......

I smiled when I saw your snowday...we live in Baton Rouge and we had a snowman party during that week of chilly weather--my 3 loved it!

Thank you for all the wonderful inpiration.

Enjoy your day,

Debra

PS You have a beautiful family!

A Joyful Chaos said...

What a beautiful slumber party! I'm sure you created many great memories.

Anonymous said...

Wow!! What an awesome party! Your little ones are so very lucky to have such a creative mom who loves them so much. I love browsing your blog. I am inspired by your creativity and your faith shows through every thing you do. Thanks for the great ideas.

Live.Love.Eat said...

It always seems like you're throwing a fantastic birthday party. You don't have THAT many kids!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Is it just time goes by so fast?!

Awesome slumber party!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

This is the most precious sleepover I've ever seen! I'm sure the girls were thrilled to open those cute pj's you made (amazing!). Love the idea of turning the dining table into a bed, too!
Blessings,
Stacey

Stacia said...

I have a question about embroidery/applique... I'm just getting started. I'm doing it for personal use, but still want some sort of editing software so I can add font to downloaded images. ie: want to put daughter's name over a heart image... I am about to purchase the card to transfer images from computer to machine, but could you tell me what you'd recommend as far as software...
sljohnson0929@yahoo.com or www.staciajohnson.blogspot.com Thank you so much... I love reading your blog :)

Haley said...

love love love your blog! i have a 5 week old daughter and your ideas will be helpful down the road. your an amazing person! i have met you once or twice (my hubby was the youth minister at the prattville cofc) and i have always heard what a kind and loving person you are. if im half the person you are my kenley will have great memories like your children!

Mary Mac said...

the birthday party was beyond adorable! I have to come up with a craft for moppets for the feb. meeting. I bought a bunch of valentine scrap book paper (dollar section target). do you have any ideas?

Melissa Lester said...

Hmmm, Mary Mac, let me think about it. February is about to roll around, so maybe the girls and I will tackle some Valentine crafts. I'll let you know if inspiration strikes!

dancilhoney said...

This is hands down one of the coolest budget-friendly real life parties I've seen. I am so impressed! It makes me want to throw a party exactly like it! Sleepover Party Supplies

Blog Widget by LinkWithin