Monday, November 1, 2010

Roses in November



These Confederate Roses in a neighbor's yard have brightened my morning walk this fall. With showy blooms that vary from white to pale pink to deep pink, this member of the Hibiscus family has a lovely heirloom feel.



I missed these roses -- and my daily walk -- when an unexpected medical crisis had me keeping vigil at the hospital all week. My husband, Joe, experienced acute worsening kidney failure last week due to acute tubular necrosis. This was probably caused by an adverse reaction to medication he took for pneumonia the week before. Thankfully, he is recuperating at home now and progressing well. If any of you have faced similar kidney problems, I would be interested to hear your experiences. This was a new and unexpected adventure for us!



Now that we are back home again, I am eager to resume my normal routines. Sometimes the daily walk prescribed by my back surgeon feels like a chore, but this week I am ready to stop and smell the roses.




I am hoping to add some Confederate Roses to our yard, as well. This site has given me some helpful guidance and growing tips. After all the challenges the last few months have held, I'm hoping November will be coming up roses.


"A profusion of pink roses bending ragged in the rain speaks to me of all gentleness and its enduring." -- William Carlos Williams

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melissa,
Just wanted you to know how much I love your blog and your sweet spirit! You bring beauty to my days via this blog! Thank you!
Rachael

Vonda said...

I'm praying that this week is much better! You need to add a magnolia tree to your yard as well. You are one "steel magnolia"!

Tracy said...

The roses are gorgeous! Praying for you & your family! Hope your husband feels better soon!

Missy said...

Those roses are beautiful!! A lovely sight on your walk I'm sure. Hope that your husband is feeling better!

Jan M said...

Those are gorgeous flowers, and your photography detail is amazing! Thank you for sharing such beauty with us.
Prayers of healing strength for body and soul.

Ann said...

Dearest Melissa,

I too have had a trying last couple of months with health issues for my Mother, husband and myself as well. My relationship with God has strenghten and I rely on him for grace to keep it all together.

During your morning walks talk to him. He will listen and bring you comfort.
God bless you and your family.

Nancy said...

You have been in my thoughts and prayers, Melissa. Such a scary thing to have happen. So thankful he is home and mending. Take your walks, breathe deeply, and know that all will be well :)

Becky Welch said...

Bless your hearts! I hope you do get a chance to enjoy the roses!

Carol said...

The roses are beautiful. Glad you are home to enjoy them now and that your husband is home too.

Anonymous said...

Melissa, I am so sorry you have had to face another bump in the road. I am amazed at your strength. You have faced all that has happened to you with such grace. I know~ you know that God has been with you every step of the way. He has been your rock and your fortress, hasn't He? God is good.

Hoping and praying your November will be coming up roses. Debbi

Blog Widget by LinkWithin