Monday, November 1, 2010

Roses in November



These Confederate Roses in a neighbor's yard have brightened my morning walk this fall. With showy blooms that vary from white to pale pink to deep pink, this member of the Hibiscus family has a lovely heirloom feel.



I missed these roses -- and my daily walk -- when an unexpected medical crisis had me keeping vigil at the hospital all week. My husband, Joe, experienced acute worsening kidney failure last week due to acute tubular necrosis. This was probably caused by an adverse reaction to medication he took for pneumonia the week before. Thankfully, he is recuperating at home now and progressing well. If any of you have faced similar kidney problems, I would be interested to hear your experiences. This was a new and unexpected adventure for us!



Now that we are back home again, I am eager to resume my normal routines. Sometimes the daily walk prescribed by my back surgeon feels like a chore, but this week I am ready to stop and smell the roses.




I am hoping to add some Confederate Roses to our yard, as well. This site has given me some helpful guidance and growing tips. After all the challenges the last few months have held, I'm hoping November will be coming up roses.


"A profusion of pink roses bending ragged in the rain speaks to me of all gentleness and its enduring." -- William Carlos Williams
Blog Widget by LinkWithin