Thursday, December 9, 2010

Sleepover: Time to Make the Doughnuts



Christian's birthday sleepover was a lot of fun, and I am relieved to report that I made it through the party weekend without putting my back out. Joe really helped me make some decisions to scale back on my detail-oriented plans without sacrificing a fun, pulled-together party theme. I purchased the pan for the doughnut cake here, and it was so quick to decorate. Doughnuts provided a sweet, fresh theme for our celebration. A few favorite details follow.



The same pale blue matelasse coverlet I used for Mary Ashley's slumber party topped the table at Christian's party. I embellished plain white linens from Wal-Mart with decorative stitching and a monogram -- a crisp touch for the table that will be put to use in the boys' bedroom. A teddy bear from Christian's Build-a-Bear party a few years ago sat at the head of the table, his look updated with a tag I printed from my computer.



Plates and napkins from Wal-Mart; fork and cup from Party City; blue-and-white gingham scrapbook paper from Hobby Lobby.



Each boy received a pair of pajamas, but I took an easier route than starting from scratch. I monogrammed shirts from Wal-Mart and bought pants from JCPenney. I love matching PJs for a sleepover because I think it helps create a fun party dynamic. (And it gives guests a favor worth keeping.)



I was a little afraid our houseful of 8-year-old boys would think the bed-themed table and matching pajamas were "lame," but all the guests were very enthusiastic about both. Of course, who can blame them for being most excited about this element of the celebration ...


You can't beat fresh Krispy Kreme doughnuts, and the minis just look like a party! We served original glazed, chocolate iced and chocolate iced with sprinkles Saturday morning for breakfast. The chocolate iced went so fast, I did not even get a photo to post.



From dinner to doughnuts, this party was a blast. And I learned an important lesson: Keep it simple, Sweetie, and just add sprinkles!



How do you spell "adorable"? Come back tomorrow for a fun family dinner that is cute as can bee.


Blog Widget by LinkWithin