Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Slumber Party Fare: Little Pizzas

 
When I was in middle school, my friend Charla's mother served these little pizzas at a slumber party. I loved them so much, I pleaded with my mother to call Charla's mother to get the recipe. As a newlywed I copied the recipe, hoping to make little pizzas one day for my children's sleepovers. I tried the recipe recently when the boys had friends over to spend the night. Just smelling them baking, I felt the urge to sing "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" and watch a Molly Ringwald movie. The children gave the little pizzas rave reviews, but my favorite came from 10-year-old Garrison, who pleaded, "Miss Melissa, will you call my mom and give her this recipe?"

Little Pizzas
This was the quintessential recipe for slumber parties in my hometown growing up.
1 package hamburger buns
Parmesan cheese

Meat Sauce:
1 pound ground beef
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
1/2 cup ketchup
1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
3/4 teaspoons garlic salt

Cheese Sauce:
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup instant dry milk
3/4 cup water
1 cup Velveeta cheese
For meat sauce, brown meat, drain and mix with above ingredients. Meanwhile, for cheese sauce, mix flour and instant dry milk. Gradually add 3/4 cup water, then stir in 1 cup Velveeta cheese cut into cubes. Stir until Velveeta melts and cheese sauce thickens. Place open hamburger buns on a cookie sheet. Spoon cheese sauce on, then meat sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 degrees 8 to 10 minutes. (Makes approximately 10 to 15).

Tomorrow, a fun slumber party invitation -- plus more celebration details all week!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin