Monday, January 10, 2011

Coconut-Almond Hot Chocolate



Although the snow our southern children were hoping for did not materialize in our region of Alabama last night, hot chocolate is still a perfect treat for a cold, wintry day. (Even if the only precipitation on the radar is rain.) I made this version today -- an attempt to recreate an Almond-Joy drink at a local coffee shop.


Almond-Coconut Hot Chocolate
Enjoy this decadent hot chocolate with a dollop of whipped cream, or give it the works with a sprinkling of toasted sliced almonds, toasted coconut flakes and chocolate curls.

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup white sugar
1 pinch salt
1/3 cup boiling water
3 1/2 cups skim milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/8 teaspoon coconut extract
1/2 cup half-and-half
Sweetened whipped cream
Toasted coconut, toasted sliced almonds and chocolate curls, optional
Combine cocoa, sugar and pinch of salt in a heavy saucepan. Add the boiling water, and stir over medium heat until the sugar melts and you achieve a thick liquid. Stir in milk and heat until very hot, but not boiling. Stir in vanilla, almond and coconut extracts and half-and-half, and remove from heat. Divide the hot chocolate between 4 mugs. Top each serving with whipped cream. If desired, finish it off with a sprinkling of toasted sliced almonds, toasted flaked coconut and chocolate curls.

Toasted Almonds: Bake sliced almonds in a 325 degree oven for a few minutes until golden.

Toasted Flaked Coconut: Microwave flaked coconut in a microwave-safe bowl at 10-15 second intervals until lightly browned, stirring between each interval.

Chocolate Curls: Microwave a square of baking chocolate or almond bark for about 25 seconds. Then use a grater to shave chocolate curls. Let the curls fall onto a plate and put it in the freezer until the curls are firm enough to handle.





My husband and children don't care for nuts or coconut, but enjoyed this hot chocolate with whipped cream and chocolate curls. I wanted the works and enjoyed the mix of textures the coconut and almonds brought to the drink. 

Curling up with a cup of steaming hot chocolate is a wonderful way to warm up a snow day -- snow or no snow!

17 comments:

Mary Beth said...

That looks absolutely wonderful! I am going to have to make this. We did get the snow (and the ice that is coming with it is on its way... yikes!).
I'm going to have to go see if I can scrounge together all of these ingredients. I think I actually have everything!! Yay!
Thanks for sharing.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Melissa, there is a huge collective sigh going "Ahhhhhhh" across the internet as these pictures and the recipe are viewed. Oh, my! WONDERFUL!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Vonda said...

That looks delish!! I hope your kids have enjoyed their "snow" day!

Val said...

This looks dreamy! I can not wait to try it.

Smocking with Gwen said...

Melissa,
This looks wickedly good!!!! I'm fearful that I don't have everything for this recipe!!! Thanks for posting this on such a wickedly cold day. Here in south Atlanta area....we have ice...lOTS of ice!
Gwen

Elizabeth said...

That looks so yummy!

Laura Wilkerson said...

oooooo!!!!! That looks A-MAZING! I'm going to have to try this one for sure!

Stay warm!

Kristen said...

That looks sooo good! The pictures are awesome!

sweeter and the bubbas said...

You might want to bring some of that yumminess this weekend, k? :-)

Kirks Korner said...

I read your title when your post showed up on my blog, and I had to read the rest of it. I love anything with coconut but am not a big fan of almonds. I should try out this recipe. Thanks for posting it.

BTW We had some typical Washington snow yesterday. Snow a bunch in the morning and melt by the afternoon.

Amy

Kirks Korner said...

I read your title when your post showed up on my blog, and I had to read the rest of it. I love anything with coconut but am not a big fan of almonds. I should try out this recipe. Thanks for posting it.

BTW We had some typical Washington snow yesterday. Snow a bunch in the morning and melt by the afternoon.

Amy

Janay said...

What a beautiful cup of cocoa! I'm with you on the texture thing so I will be giving this a try - such a sweet indulgence!

Shell in your Pocket said...

OH my gracious...that looks amazing! The chocolate curls put it over the top!

sandy toe

PBKISSES said...

Oh, this looks delicious AND beautiful! Lovely photos! We have been snowed in for two days now. My kiddos are going through the hot cocoa by the buckets (it seems). I think I'll make a batch up of yours....and then hide it for my husband and I. Just kidding..kind of! Thank you for a gorgeous post-I'm new to your blog. I came by way of StoneGable, glad I found you!

Blessings!

Cathy M said...

That looks yummy!!!

Jennifer@DoingTheNextThing said...

yummy! might have to try this AND the peppermint version. thanks. :)

Sandy at Teacup Lane said...

That's my paternal Grandmother's dish pattern too! I always loved it.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin