Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Paper Rose Tutorial



These pink paper roses are ready to add a sweet accent to Valentines, invitations or craft projects. 

Several of you asked for more details on making the paper roses that topped Mary Ashley's cupcake invitations last week, so I put together a few and snapped photos along the way to show you the process. For the roses pictured, I used a pretty, two-sided scrapbook paper (Heidi Grace Designs Baby Girl in Flourish).

 

Paper Roses
1. Use a paper punch to cut a scalloped circle. The larger the punch, the larger your finished rose will be. For this project I used a 3-inch scalloped circle punch.
2. Choose a point between two scallops, and cut about 1/2 inch into the circle. Trim the scalloped edge of the circle away all the way around.
3. Reserve the inside of the circle for another use, and round the edges at the beginning and end of the scalloped ring.
4. Tightly roll the ring from one end to the other.
5. Release the roll, and it will spring into a rose. If the rose is still too tight, you can manipulate the paper to give it a more full look.  

 

Paper Leaves
1. Punch a scalloped circle (3-inch punch used for leaves in photo).
2. Cut the scalloped circle in half.
3. Skip two scallops and cut toward the center of the circle.
4. Cut all the way around, creating narrow hearts.
5. Fold the hearts in half to create a crease and give the leaves dimension. Depending on your project, you may use the leaves as is or clip the pointed tips off to shorten the leaves.

"A bit of fragrance always clings to the hand that gives roses." -- Chinese Proverb

9 comments:

mary beth said...

Thank you so much for posting this..I am glad I was not the only one having trouble visualizing exactly how you did it! These are so pretty and will be fun to make using up all the pretty scraps I have!

Meredith said...

That is To Die For cute! I love that! What a great idea! How cute is that?!

Becky Welch said...

These are lovely! I can't wait to make them!

Marie Arden said...

Wonderful ideas, my question is what is the name of the china pattern in your blog header? The pattern to the far right topped with a tea cup? I love that pattern. I have a bit of a china obsession1
Marie Arden Pink Living.blog

Melissa Lester said...

Marie, I share that obsession, too! My husband says it was a lightbulb moment for him when he realized we would never have enough dishes. :) The china you are asking about is an Andrea by Sadek pattern called Amore. It is not fine china, but the colors in it are so lovely that I use it much more than my wedding china. I bought it years ago at a gift shop, and I'm not sure if it is available anywhere now.

Katy said...

Wonderful tutorial Melissa, great job sharing how they're made! Thanks and hugs! ~Katy

Miranda said...

Thank you SO much for this tutorial! This will be PERFECT for my daughter's 3rd birthday party- an Alice party! I plan to make some red roses to go along with "Painting the roses red!" --- her fav. song in Alice!!!!

Rebecca said...

Thank you SO much! What a wonderful tutorial! I have a feeling my home will be covered with paper flowers in no time. I am looking forward to more pictures from the party. It is great you have 4 kids, because I can't get enough of your party ideas, and you give so many!

Loretta said...

Perhaps you might be interested in My Pal the Birthday Girl or Birthday Boy 18" doll for your next party. Our dolls are high quality and reasonably priced, a great alternative or companion to American Girl dolls. The booklets that come with My Pal dolls teach children about important and fun themes, and they can write their own stories in them. Some examples are: My Pal for Going Green (environment), My Pal for Peace, My Pal for Autism Awareness, My Pal for Baseball, My Pal the Patriot, My Pal for First Eucharist, My Sibling(caring for brothers and sisters with disabilities. This doll program benefits teens and adults with disabilities. Thank you for your time. Loretta

Blog Widget by LinkWithin