Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A Gift for You

Chocolate chip scones served with strawberry preserves and almond cream were a hit at Emma's recent Tea for 2, so I thought I would share the recipes here. The owner of Gracie's Tea Room in Montgomery, Ala., told me how to make almond cream several years ago. It is so-o-o good! And the scones are adapted from a recipe in Pink Princess Cookbook by Barbara Beery. This is a kid-friendly cookbook no princess should be without, so leave a comment below to enter a drawing for a copy of the book. I will draw a number out of a teacup this Thursday. I plan to have the cookbook to you before next Thursday, when I hope you will celebrate the first day of spring with a cup of tea.

Gracie's Almond Cream

1 cup whipping cream

1 teaspoon almond extract

1/4 cup powdered sugar

Combine cream and extract. Whip until almost stiff, then add powdered sugar and whip until stiff. (Note: I sometimes substitute vanilla for almond extract. Other extracts would work well, too.)

Chocolate Chip Scones

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 cup sugar

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/8 teaspoon salt

1 cup milk chocolate chips

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons whipping cream

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt until well combined. Add chocolate chips and toss to coat with flour mixture. Pour 1 cup whipping cream into the mixture, stirring just until ingredients are moistened. Turn mixture out onto lightly floured surface. Knead gently until soft dough forms (about 2 minutes). Pat dough out to about 1 inch thick. Cut out into assorted shapes. Place scones 1 inch apart on two foil-lined baking sheets that have been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Brush each scone with the remaining 2 tablespoons whipping cream. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until very lightly browned. Serve warm with strawberry preserves and cream.

Photo by Nathan Prichard

8 comments:

Leah said...

Thanks for these recipes! I will have to try them! I'd love to enter your contest too!

Becky Welch said...

Chocolate Chip Scones are my favorite!!!!! I will have to make these for our tea party next Thursday!!!! Thank you for sharing and for the contest. If we don't win, you will have to tell us where we can pick up the book!!!

Louise said...

Thanks for the recipes! I am so impressed with how thoughtful you can be, take care of 4 kids and all the other things you do!!

margie said...

I tried the scones recipe last night. They are WONDERFUL!! Thank you so much for sharing it.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rebecca said...

Thanks for the recipe! Brent and I had scones last Friday! I love them. I also love Gracie's! It is such a fun place to go to make yourself feel pampered.

Melissa said...

SURPRISE...a long lost friend from your days in Elba. :) It's your little Melissa, although not so little anymore. Mom sent me the link to your blog. I was so excited! Your kids are adorable. I've seen a few pics in Christian Woman of the littlest one.

Well, just wanted you to know I found you! I'd love to catch up sometime!

Jennifer@DoingTheNextThing said...

MMM - I'll have to try that!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin