Thursday, March 13, 2008

Spring for a Cupcake

And cupcakes for Spring! I made cupcakes for Christian's Easter party at school today and felt inspired to make several varieties. I wanted to kick up the cuteness, so I cut strips of scrapbook paper and wrapped them around the cupcakes to make colorful sleeves. I secured each paper seam with tape. Then I taped a piece of ribbon to the paper seam, wrapped it around the cupcake and finished it off with a bow. I have three cupcake designs to share. I frosted all the cupcakes with green icing, then used cake decorating tip 233 to cover them with grass. I hope you will enjoy this sweet taste of spring!

First, I made bunny topiaries by twisting pretzel rods into yellow marshmallow bunnies and inserting one into each cupcake. Twenty of these bunny topiary cupcakes hopped over to Christian's kindergarten class this morning, but one stayed home to help fill my next cupcake design.



This Easter basket cupcake was easy to assemble. After adding the paper sleeve, I cut a thinner strip of scrapbook paper and slid each end between the cupcake and sleeve to make the handle. The scrapbook paper I chose has designs on both sides, so even the underside of the handle has a cute detail. Jellybeans fill the basket with treats, and a ribbon bow secured to a floral pick and inserted into the cupcake adds the final touch. I have one final cupcake to share, an idea I have been working on for a while. I can't wait for you to see it!



But first, I almost forgot to draw a name for my Pink Princess Cookbook giveaway. Four-year-old Mary Ashley was happy to lend a hand for the drawing. And the winner is ...

Louise!

Blogging has helped me get to know Louise, a sweet girl from my congregation. She is a recent college graduate and newlywed. Reading her blog takes me back to the first few years of my marriage when Joe was in law school. Louise, I hope you will enjoy the cookbook!

And I hope all of you will enjoy my final cupcake design: a topiary tree cupcake. I have been wanting to perfect this design for a while. I think topiaries are so lovely! Wouldn't a topiary cupcake make a sweet place card at afternoon tea? To make these I inserted a popscicle stick into a marshmallow, then covered it with green icing leaves piped on with cake decorating tip 352. Tip 101S made the tiniest of roses to add a touch of pink. A name piped onto a saucer with tip 4 completes the design. Let's share a cupcake to welcome spring!


Posted by Picasa
Blog Widget by LinkWithin