Thursday, March 27, 2008

Movin' on Down the Highway

I was driving down a three-lane stretch of highway recently and started to change lanes when I heard a loud HONNNNKKK behind me. I realized immediately that I had relied on my mirrors without turning around to check that the road was clear. So I swerved back into my lane to avoid a collision. I am generally a careful driver, so I felt terrible to have done something reckless. Thankfully, though, we were still wreckless!

My heart was still racing when from the back seat, 6-year-old Christian said, "Mom, that was s-o-o-o cool! You are a GR-R-REAT driver!"

From the middle seat Carson, age 8, muttered under his breath, "Yeah, except for about 10 seconds ago when you almost got us killed back there."

What a difference just two years makes in perspective! While Christian still thinks Mom is divine, Carson already realizes that I am only human. He observes foibles and notes frailties. But even when I disappoint Carson, I am thankful that his heavenly Father is perfect and unchanging. In fact, greater understanding only increases our admiration of God. Romans 11:33-36 reminds us,

"Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways! For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who became His counselor? Or who has first given to Him that it might be paid back to him again? For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen."

Although sometimes I swerve, I hope my children see me striving to stay on the right path. And I pray that as they travel down life's highway, they will all realize that the journey is best -- and blessed -- with God in the driver's seat.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin