Friday, July 10, 2009

Emmagination at Work


Life with Emma is full of surprises!


At 3, daughter Emma keeps me laughing all the time. Here are a few of her latest antics.


A friend told us that a spoonful of peanut butter gets rid of hiccups, and it works! I guess Emma needed a PB fix. She came into the room with the "hiccups," jerking her shoulders dramatically as she called "hic-achoo, hic-achoo, hic-achoo!"

Rubbing her belly after supper recently, Emma exclaimed, "Oh, Mommy, I am so full my tummy is getting so big -- just like yours!"

It is precious to hear Emma quote her memory verse, Hebrews 13:16: "Do not forget to do good and to share." But I guess she has taken our reprimands to heart this summer when she goes outside, because she sometimes recites, "Do not forget to do good and shut the door."

Emma has entertained us all this summer with tall tales about her imaginary friend, Layla. She can answer all my questions about her without any hesitation.

Me: What color hair does Layla have?

Emma: It's kindly yellow, so it's kindly pink, so it's kindly blue, so it's kindly green.

Me: Where does Layla live?

Emma: With the dolphins.

Me: Wow! She lives with the dolphins?

Emma: Yes. In a birdhouse.

And how bad a day must little Emma have been having recently? When I asked about her imaginary friend, Emma's expression fell: "She doesn't like me anymore."


12 comments:

Ariadone said...

Good morning Melissa, I love this title, it gets me right into the mood of loving to hear everything about sweet Emma, but could I do otherwise but love this little beauty, sweet girl.Isn't it a gift that you can hear with full awareness this magical talk and thinking of a three-year old ? I think so.
Have a wonderful day together
Godeliva van Ariadone

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Awwww... poor Emma and shame on Layla for not liking her anymore. I got such a kick out of this, Melissa. My FIL had an imaginary friend (probably because he was the only boy in his family), and he was super brilliant. They say children who are very bright sometimes have a friend like this. And Emma is obviously not only bright, but just as cute as can be!

XO,

Sheila :-)

P.S. If you get a chance, check out the cookies I found at Barnes & Noble... I bet you could make some even cuter! :-)

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

Oh my...when your imaginary friend gets upset with you that's not good. I'm sure that Layla will come around.

Jan's Blog said...

May I cautiously confess that despite the fact that you have 4 absolutely precious, adorable children, I am so drawn to Emma. She's three like my Darien, but it is far more than that. She has a beauty that is slightly askew, making her the MOST darling little girl I've even seen. Her facial expressions are priceless and my heart just melted as you recount her conversations about Layla. Of course one always hesitates to single out one child in a family of several children, and I've tried to put this in words for literally months, but today the words came for the first time. As I've told you before I think, you are living the life I dreamed up when I was young and I feel so blessed as I prepare to leave this life, to get to live my fantasy life through you. How generous you are to share it. Hugs and blessing to all...Jan

Deanna said...

What a beautiful picture of your sweet little girl, Emma.

She's at such a cute age and the wonderful things we are blessed to learn from them is life changing.

Have a sweet week-end,
~D~

Cindy ~ My Romantic Home said...

That is so adorable! I once heard that imaginary friends are a sign of high intelligence. My son had one named "Dorothy" when he was Emma's age and he just graduated from college with highest honors and plans on becoming a professor so it may be true!

blushing rose said...

Adorable! I have a couple of darling 'out of the mouths of babes' on our gr-son. Wouldn't trade the memories & giggles for the world. TTFN ~Marydon

Nancy said...

I simply love the age between two and four :) Jenny's Noah calls everyone 'sir' haha when he answers Jenny it's "yes sir, mommy". Loved reading your notes and found myself smiling and remembering sweet Noah ~

Elise said...

lovely post !

E and T said...

Hi Melissa

It's so lovely to document these gems.

My little girl is three in a couple of months and she often has me laughing with the precious things she comes out with.

Just as my little girl was going to sleep tonight she started to cry (which she very rarely does), I asked her what was wrong and with big sad eyes she said: Mumy, I just had to get my tears out! We cuddled and read some of her favouirte stories and all was right with the world again.

Elise

saffiertje said...

What a cutie your Emma! My Emma is just like her... She always surprises us with great tellings and do's or don'ts...
What's in a name??? It 's because of the meaning of their name I guess...God with us... What a blessing to know that god is with our little girls and that He will guide them on thepath of life...

love,

Miranda

p.s. I pray that the pain in your back is going soon... I know by experience how awful it is..

sweeter and the bubbas said...

I LOVE it! Ann Welch asked me the other day if I was having a baby b/c my tummy was "SO BIG". Needless to say, I didn't eat the rest of the day...LOL!!

Emma was so cute in Church last night. She played peek-a-boo with me b/c I was sitting behind her. MA was all over Carson giving him some major luvin!!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin