Monday, July 6, 2009

Park Amusement

Joe recently spent an exciting day with Carson, Christian and a school friend at Six Flags over Georgia. They arrived as soon as the park opened, and Joe hurried the boys to the far side of the park to take advantage of rides before the crowds migrated through the park. The first attraction they reached was the Ninja. This daunting roller coaster is custom-built over water with five inversions. According to Wikipedia, "Ninja is known as one of the most rough and intense coasters in the nation." This attraction was probably not the best one to ease the boys into a day of rides -- especially Carson's friend who had never ridden a roller coaster -- but lured by its immediate availability, they headed to the front of the line.

Clearly shaken after the Ninja, 10-year-old Carson and his friend were not eager to board many of the park's other coasters. But 7-year-old Christian was fearless and jumped at the chance to ride everything his height would allow. In fact, after a particularly intense coaster, Christian surprised Joe by asking to ride it again immediately. "Really?" Joe asked in amazement.

"Yes," Christian insisted with a toothless grin. "When you ride that one two times in a row, you feel really good about yourself."


9 comments:

Jennifer P. said...

Never thought about it that way before, but Oh! The wisdom of children! It DOES feel good to overcome a fear like that.

Tell him thanks for me!

Tiffany said...

Wow I would have been speechless to hear those words come out of his month. It sounds like that roller coaster is a bit intense! I can't believe they let young children on it.

Kellie said...

We recently took a trip to Six Flags and the Ninja is AWFUL - and I LOVE roller coasters!!!! All the others were fantastic - but it knocked my head around so hard I had to take 3 advil as soon as I got off. That would NOT have been my suggestion for the FIRST roller coaster ride!!!! Glad they had fun!

Cindy ~ My Romantic Home said...

Isn't it amazing how different kids can be. My son always hated roller coasters and my daughter loves them. She would go on anything!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Like Carson, I always liked the scary rides and would beg to ride them numerous times. LOL! My cousin, on the other hand, would get motion sickness. Of course that was after he hate cotton candy by the ton, chili dogs, curly fries, etc. LOL!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Tina Foster said...

I was really surprised that William's height allowed him to ride the Scream Machine but NOT the swings. BTW, my roller coaster days are over!! I'll just sit with the
"older" folks and watch the shows!!! :)

Melissa Lester said...

Me, too, Tina! That's odd about the swings. We girls sat this trip out.

As newlyweds, Joe and I planned a trip to Six Flags. Before the trip, he was surprised to hear me talk about how much I loved roller coasters, since I am generally very cautious. It was only as we drove to Atlanta and the park got closer that I realized the only roller coaster I had a specific memory of was the Runaway Mine Train -- a kids ride in Joe's book. So I was really nervous! Joe ran me all over the park that day, and I rode all the roller coasters with him, but I decided it wasn't really my thing. And I thought I would die on a ride that suspended us upside-down over the horizon! And now with my back trouble, Joe and the boys will have to brave the coasters without me. So I'll see you at the shows!

Deanna said...

Dear Melissa,
I greatly appreciate the prayers for my tall son that's on his way to Israel and his family remaining in the states.

When I was a really young momma, I thought when my children grew up and went out on their own, it would be a different ballgame (and in alot of ways it is), but I was taken by surprise at this latest thing. Leaning on the Lord in prayer and being lifting up by others.

I'm beginning to think Once a Momma always a Momma.

God Bless you and thank you for praying. I need the prayers.

~D~

sweeter and the bubbas said...

He and Copie are two peas in a pod! LOVE it! :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin