Friday, November 6, 2009

A Cup of Loveliness: Holiday Spice

Today's Cup of Loveliness is Holiday Spice, a festive blend of black tea with cinnamon, vanilla and other flavors of the season. This loose tea smells like the holidays, and each sip holds the warmth of the holidays.

A perfect accompaniment to Holiday Spice Tea is my grandmother Frances Prichard's pumpkin roll -- a delicious treat presented on the holiday table or delivered to a friend. Grandma always doubles the recipe so she has plenty of this gooey dessert to share.

Pumpkin Roll


3 eggs, beaten for 5 minutes
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup sifted self-rising flour
1/2 cup finely chopped nuts


8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup sifted powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread wax paper in a 15"-x-10" jelly roll pan, overlapping the edges. Mix ingredients for cake with a mixer, and spread batter in pan. Bake for 15 minutes. Spread a dish towel, and cover it with powdered sugar. Use the waxed paper to lift the cake from the pan and turn it onto the towel. Carefully ease the waxed paper from the cake, and roll it up in the towel. Set the cake aside to cool, and mix all the filling ingredients. Unroll the cooled cake, spread with filling, and reroll. Cover with plastic wrap, and chill until serving. Sprinkle with sifted powdered sugar, and slice in 1" slices.


Suzanne said...

All of this sounds so yummy!!

Shannon said...

WOW! I hope this take you in the direction of owning your own tea room! I really want to go there! Where do I show-up for some of this wonderful tea and delicious pairings...I know just the place...your own tea room!

LeeAnne said...

I am so enjoying this week-long tea party! I think today's recipes - both the tea flavor and the pumpkin roll - are my favorites. Are you making your own teas now? The blends sound divine! If you're purchasing them, please let us know where. (Or perhaps we may purchase from you ...) :)

Mommy2Twins said...

Now this sounds so good! I hope I can sample some soon! This teasing sure is making me thirsty, hehehehe. See ya Saturday!

Melissa Lester said...

Thanks, Shannon, having a tea room has always been a secret dream of mine! For now, I'm thankful that I can share my love of tea through the blog -- and now through Cup of Loveliness Tea!

And LeeAnne, I am so excited about these teas! They are my unique blends, produced for me by a tea company. I am looking into options for making them available online and hope to announce that soon. I will offer a giveaway Monday, so be sure to pop back by to register for that!

mommieofthree said...

That looks yummy! And I'm sure it taste the same! I can't wait to try the receipi. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your reply regarding your tea Melissa. Can't wait to learn more about it. As for that pumpkin roll it sounds delicious!

On a different note, I am shopping for a sewing machine that does embroidery so I can do Monograms on my baby grandaughters dresses and things. I remember that you've had a few posts showing beautiful monograms you've done. The reviews I've read on different machines are so conflicting. Would you mind telling me which machine you use and the level of difficulty. I am hoping to find one that has a screen and doesn't need to be hooked up to a computer.
Thanks in advance for your help.
SDP (Shar)in California.

Melissa Lester said...

SDP, my husband gave me my embroidery machine nearly 6 years ago as a combo birthday and Christmas gift, and I still thank him for it every year!

I have a Babylock Ellure, the lowest-end model for Babylock. This machine uses PES files, which is a good format to have. The Ellure has a small screen, so I do my design work on the computer and transfer designs to an embroidery card. I believe Babylock makes some models with a bigger screen, but I don't have any firsthand experience with other machines.

One suggestion I would give is to buy locally. I have appreciated having a sewing shop nearby where I can go for classes and repairs. I hope these ideas help!

sonja said...

I have watched all week, just to see how each day would bring another tea and top the one from the day before! I love the comment about you having a tea room. It's what my mom and sister and I used to dream of doing. My mom was born in Norway and her cookie recipes filled our home all through our childhood. She's in heaven now, but I am SURE she is serving up her good tea room goodies with joy!

lisha said...

black tea with cinnamon -- and pumpkin...two of my favorite things. Dessert rolls always seem so intimidating, but this one might just be calling my name...thank you for sharing it:)

Christina said...

So you are a tea lover, just like me!
I tried the recipe yesterday and it tasted great. I took the last slice with me for lunch at school today. This recipe is defenitely a favorite from now on!

Thank you for sharing all those teas and recipes with us. I can almost smell it through your postings.

Gr. Christina

Blog Widget by LinkWithin