Monday, November 2, 2009

A Cup of Loveliness: Roseberry

I am so thrilled to announce my newest passion: Cup of Loveliness Tea!

My signature blend is a feminine selection called Roseberry, a fragrant black tea flavored with raspberry, rose and lavender. Pretty and fragrant, this is definitely my cup of tea!

I will be introducing a blend each day this week, along with recipes and ideas to coordinate with the day's selection. So please join me each day for a virtual tea party. Then stop in Monday to register for a bag of tea!

My late grandmother, Gladys Williams West's, Old-Fashioned Tea Cakes are the perfect complement to Roseberry Tea.

Old-Fashioned Tea Cakes

Serve these lightly-sweet cookies as is, or make them fancier with icing or powdered sugar.

1 cup margarine
1 cup sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 1/2 cups flour

Cream margarine and sugar, beating well until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat. Add vanilla and gradually add flour, beating after each addition. Dough should be stiff enough to handle. Place on a floured surface and roll to 1 inch thickness. Cut with cookie cutter and place on lightly-greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 10 minutes. Yields about 2 dozen cookies.

If these tea cakes are not quite sweet enough for your tastes, give them a kiss of sugar. For a simple but elegant presentation, sprinkle the cookies with a dusting of powdered sugar. Then serve these sweet treats with lemon curd and fresh raspberries. For a more detailed approach, cover the cookies with icing. Make poured icing by adding lukewarm water, a little at a time, to powdered sugar and stirring until you achieve a thin liquid. Place the cookies on a cooling rack, and pour the icing over. Allow it to harden, then add final details to the cookies with royal or buttercream icing.

The tea party continues all week, so come back each day to preview other loose tea blends and to register to win your own Cup of Loveliness!


Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Everything truly looks so lovely!
Thank you for sharing your teas and recipes.

Blessings & Aloha!

my craft and art creations said...

wonderfull pictures!!
i will try the recipe !!
thank you for sharing with us!!

Rach said...

Almost too pretty to eat!

"Blossom" said...

Simply lovely. The tea sounds wonderful. I can not wait to know the other tea names during the week.

Brenda Leyland said...

Lovely presentation of those tea cookies. I'm looking forward to making them for my next tea event!

I haven't done that much of late, but you inspire me!

Here's to tea and tea parties!

Deborah said...

De-Lovely! Thank goodness it is only a virtual party or I would have eaten all those cookies myself. **blows kisses** Deborah

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Love the recipe, thank you! :)

Sandy Toes said...

That tea sounds wonderful!
sandy toe

Janetta said...

Beautiful! My daughter enjoys having friends over for tea and wants another tea party for her birthday again this year. She'll be 7. :) Any tips of where I can purchase tea sets? I've been picking up individual sets at thrift stores and antique stores, but would like to gift her with a new set.

Melissa Lester said...

Janetta, we love doing birthday teas here too! I featured Mary Ashley's tea set here:

I don't know if that one is still in production, but Mud Pie makes some cute ones. I have also seen pretty tea sets at Strasburg Children's. I hope this gives you a couple of ideas!

Melissa Lester said...

And one more idea, Janetta. If you wanted to give her a little more grown-up version since she is turning 7, you could probably put together a pretty tea set from TJ Maxx. I noticed some pretty teapots at ours recently that were not full-size. You can find deeply discounted china options at TJ Maxx, Marshalls and HomeGoods.

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

Well, Melissa, you know I, myself, prefer a tall glass of ice blended with coffee and a douse of chocolate. But this tea absolutely sounds lovely! And I, this very day, was looking for a good cut-out recipe. Would you recommend these for kids to decorate, or are they sweet enough?? And do you plan on coming out with a chocolate tea option? I'm just sayin.'

Love ya!

Christine said...

These tea cakes look so lovely and enchanting - I'm going to have to try this recipe! I now have two little daughters to have tea parties with someday....and two boys who will love participating too.

Kathy said...

How nice, I am so glad I found your site. Your blog is lovely and your photography makes it even better. From the flowers to the tablescape everything looks just perfect. The tea sounds wonderful. Kathy

Jake said...

Simply lovely. The tea sounds wonderful. I can not wait to know the other tea names during the week.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin