Monday, July 12, 2010

A Heart at Rest



I don't think I have ever gone this long without blogging! My recuperation continues. My surgeon says the recovery process will be slower than most patients, but he is still hopeful for a good outcome.

I was surprised last week when cards started pouring in from the East Hill Church of Christ in Pulaski, Tenn., until I received the sweetest letter from one of the members. Pamela Christopher shared these beautiful thoughts with me, which I hope she will not mind my sharing. She gave me such a wonderful perspective on suffering, and I think it can be a blessing to you as well.

Lying in bed can be quite trying, but I pray your sickness will prove to be a blessing in disguise. An illness pulls us out of the rat race of human existence and allows time for introspection.

Just as the rests in a musical score are as important as the notes that are played, so can the rests in our lives be as beneficial as all our frenzied activities. If you look back over the melody of your own life, undoubtedly you can understand how beautiful the rests have been.

It has been said that for health and wealth to be appreciated, they must be interrupted. We all tend to take a good back for granted when we are well.

"Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily" (Isaiah 58:8). 

I'm praying that whether you find yourself in a season of busyness or rest, that your heart rests in the assurance of God's abiding love today.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin