Wednesday, June 30, 2010

An Update



Well, I am two weeks out from surgery and wanted to give you an update on where I am now. But first I want to offer a heartfelt thank you to all of you who have offered your encouragement as I recover. So many of you have stopped by faithfully to see how I am doing and to let me know you are praying. I appreciate your support more than you know, and each comment has given my spirits a lift.

Unfortunately, my recovery has been much slower than I had hoped. I continue to have painful muscle spasms in my lower back that have confined me to bed since the surgery. The surgery itself was successful in alleviating the leg pain that has accompanied my back issues, and I am thankful to have avoided post-op nerve pain that can be an issue. The surgeon's nurse revealed to me last week that she was afraid I would have horrific leg pain because the disc fragment was lodged under the nerve root. I am blessed indeed not to have suffered that complication, but these muscle spasms have been debilitating.

My surgeon noted instability in my spine, which he says is why my back has become so prone to these painful flare-ups. He knew that I would probably need a back brace down the road, but had hoped to delay that step in favor of quick recovery and physical therapy. I still plan to do PT, but will be fitted for a back brace today and hope it will hasten my recovery.

My mother continues her treatment for multiple myeloma. Doctors believe her stem cell transplant was successful, but auxiliary problems have made this an agonizing process. She is on a ventilator now and requires constant dialysis. We are seeing small signs of progress each day, so hope she will soon regain her health. My heart aches to be with her during this trying time. My father, sister, brother and sister-in-law are keeping vigil with Mother at the hospital, so I ask your prayers for the whole family at this time.

The posts I have shared since my surgery feature projects completed before my surgery. I have a few more photographs to share in the days to come and hope to be back on my feet soon doing the things I love -- and sharing all the fun with you!

Blessings to You My Friends,  

Blog Widget by LinkWithin