Friday, March 11, 2011

Bubblegum Blow-Out Menu

To go along with our vintage bubblegum blow-out birthday theme, we served Emma's Soda Pop in repurposed Starbucks Frappuccino bottles. I amassed a collection of more than 30 bottles with help from friends and plan to keep them for future parties. In fact, I have already loaned them to a friend who plans to use them for a vintage-inspired bridal shower.

We served pink lemonade punch for the party. I mixed up the concentrate ahead of time and filled bottles at serving time with a third of the concentrate and two-thirds Sprite

Kool-Aid Punch

3 packets Kool-Aid, any flavor (we used Pink Lemonade)
3 cups sugar
1 large can unsweetened pineapple juice
Sprite (Three 2-liters per gallon of concentrate)

Combine Kool-Aid packets, sugar, pineapple juice and enough water to fill a gallon container and chill. This will be the punch concentrate. To serve, combine 1/3 gallon of the concentrate, one 2-liter of Sprite and ice. Refill as needed.

A Bottle of Giggles

When Emma had a friend over for a playdate last week, I gave them bottles of leftover punch with lunch. "Mmmm, I really like your soda pop, Emma," I teased.

Emma's friend's eyes widened. "Emma, you have your own soda pop?" she asked.

Emma looked at the label, calling out "E-M-M-A" as she traced her finger across the text. "I guess I do," she confessed with a shrug.

Alyssa was quite impressed!

(Labels from Katy Larson and straws from The Sugar Diva.)

In keeping with our bubblegum theme, I just had to try making bubblegum ice cream. I found a recipe here and tried it the weekend before the party (shown above). The flavor was interesting, but did not live up to my expectations. So in the end, we served a bubblegum-pink colored strawberry ice cream. Strawberry ice cream was actually a much better complement to our strawberry lemonade punch and pink lemonade cake with buttercream icing.

For years I have wanted to make a gumball machine cake. I made our cake with alternating layers of lemon and strawberry cake, for a total of six 6-inch round layers. I had a lot of trouble with my icing this time, but simply did not have time to start over. I was disappointed with the results, shown below, so I might have to give this one another go down the road.

Wooden dowels inserted into the cake support a round vase of gumballs topped with a planter lid and ceramic knob. I wasn't pleased with the finished look of the cake, but it tasted great and was a hit with the Birthday Girl.

Emma requested a #5 candle for her birthday. After we sang "Happy Birthday," she lingered in front of the cake giggling bashfully before we finally coaxed her to blow out the candle. I think she was savoring the moment!

Still to come, more fun and favors. Happy weekend, friend!


Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

I want to be at that party! How fun and beautiful ♥

Ashley Borysewich said...

too cute!

oh my goodness, i love your blog!

following you now :)

The Martys said...

Melissa- I think your cake is absolutely adorable. How cute. I also must say, I like how her dress has gumballs on it. No detail too small.

Mrs. Cozy Home said...

Your bubblegum machine cake is AMAZING -- any flaws your eyes see, no one else's do, trust me!

You had to use engineering skills for that one!

Rach said...

Just wonderful, as always!! Love Emma's face in the picture. You can tell she is having the time of her life.

Elizabeth said...

The cake looks good to me too! Kids are more easily impressed than us adults anyway, so I'm sure it was perfect in their eyes even if it wasn't to yours.

Kaleena said...

Emma is such a little candy girl! I love the party ideas. Love and miss you all!

Dezeray Jule said...

super cute! i love it!

Becky Welch said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this birthday party!!!! You inspire me - in so many different ways!

Vonda said...

I think this was the perfect party theme for sweet, bubbly Emma!

Toyin O. said...

Sounds like a fun party, thanks for sharing recipe and tips:)

Keisha - Cupcake Wishes & Birthday Dreams said...

I'm in the process of planning a bubble-riffic party for my 6 year old and I too am gathering Starbucks bottles and making the cake. I love your cake - I thinks it's adorable!

Deborah said...

Hi Melissa,
I am trying to duplicate your gumball/flower center piece. I went to Party city but the only gumballs they had were very large. The picture appears to have smaller ones. They did have a bag that had the four colors you used but also white. Also, where did you find cylinder vase the same height but different widths. Also having a hard time locating those. Thanks. Looking forward to the final post. You always have the best ideas.

Deborah said...

I went to Michaels but they didn't have any round vases, only square. I'll try another Michaels. I appreciate the help. I'm going to use it for an Easter arrangement for the children's table. Again, I really enjoy your posts and ideas for parties, especially children themes.
Thank you again,

Debra said...

How fun! I just love your cake.

tienda erotica said...

Very useful information, thanks so much for the post.

Jack Men said...

A great website with interesting and unique material what else would you need. wordpress templates

Blog Widget by LinkWithin