Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Cranberry Eggnog Scones

I love to pause during the hustle and bustle of the holiday season to enjoy a cup of Christmas tea. Saturday afternoon was the perfect time to invite the family to join me in front of the Christmas tree for afternoon tea.



For our Christmas tea, I tried a new recipe from Allrecipes for cranberry eggnog cornbread scones. We enjoyed them with lemon curd, almond cream and raspberry jam.

Cranberry Eggnog Cornbread Scones

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter, chilled
3/4 cup sweetened, dried cranberries
2/3 cup eggnog

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet. Stir the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a mixing bowl until blended. Cut in the butter using a pastry cutter or two knives until coarse crumbs form. Mix in the cranberries. Use a fork to stir in the eggnog and make a sticky dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface; dip hands in flour and knead the dough about 10 times. Pat the dough out into a disk about 1/2-inch thick. Dip a 2-inch diameter biscuit cutter into some flour, and cut out 8 to 10 rounds. Place rounds about 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Use up remaining dough by patting it into a smaller disk and cutting again. Bake in preheated oven until risen and golden brown, about 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

I enjoyed leftover scones yesterday while Joe and the children spent the day in town, and I stayed home to wrap our gifts. I barely got everything wrapped and tucked away before they returned, but it is done!

I hope you will have a moment to linger over a cup of Christmas tea this holiday season!


10 comments:

Workin' MAMA! said...

Your beautiful blog is the best I've ever seen - I thought you should know that.

Workin' mama in the NW

Lynn said...

Those cranberry eggnog scones look so good. We are having a touch a "cold" weather here on the West Coast of Florida and I am on my way to work shortly. Would love to have one of the scones and a cup of tea to start my day. Will have to try that receipes. I love scones. Started going to tea rooms and fell in love with scones. I have had cranberry scones but never with the eggnog so will try those soon. Love your tall vase with the flowered balls. Very pretty. Merry Christmas to you and your family. Pray that your friend's love one in the hospital is making a good recovery.
Lynn

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Ah! Your get-togethers are simply elegant and picture perfect! I have so enjoyed reading and seeing your beautiful settings...such as this tea party with family, as well as others like your Back to School Tea Party with your children! You have the most beautiful family. (it was so much fun to stay current with blog reading your posts..."back in the day, pre-full time work" days).

Blessings & Aloha!
(dear blogger friend, Thank You very much for stopping by and for your sweet comment...Yes, our younger daughter, being one of the Derby princesses, was an amazing experience for her. It amazes me that our children have been blessed with so many amazing experiences...both girls were UofL homecoming queens-2 years apart (that had never happened there with sisters :o), our son was 2007 GA's Children's Miracle Network Child Ambassador...mission trips, DOL internship, etc. ...I am looking forward to my dental office's Christmas break...to enjoy our son, daughters, and son-in-law...and to catch up on some blog reading :o)

Live.Love.Eat said...

Oh how I'd love to be a child in your house for an afternoon, or even an adult. Such a loving and sweet, fun place to be.

I was happy to see your comment. And I am glad you will be able to take a break this Christmas from all the cooking....

Rach said...

The scones sound delicious. Glad you got to relax and enjoy a cup of tea.

Marijke van Ooijen said...

Dear Melissa,

Your blog is so lovely..!

I wisch for you a warm Christmas and a good 2010!

Sweet greetings,
Marijke from Holland

julie said...

hey melissa! yum! i wish i could come! ha! i have to tell you how wonderful you are with all your attention to detail and everything you do "fun" for your kids! i need to do more things like that! and thanks for planning my son's star wars party! i think i might have to copy everything! i look forward to more fun ideas!

ps. i hope your sweet girl is feeling better!

Melissa Lester said...

Thanks, Workin' Mama, for your sweet comment!

And, Julie, feel free to borrow all our Star Wars party ideas! I honestly wasn't too thrilled with this party theme in the beginning. I'm not really a Star Wars fans (don't tell my boys!), and this is just not a theme that lends itself to being lovely or cute. But I found myself really getting into it, and in the end it was one of my favorite themes we've done. I'm finding it's really fun to let the children choose their themes and run with it.

And stay tuned because Mary Ashley's and Emma's birthdays are right around the corner, and I can't wait to spill the secrets on those upcoming celebrations!

Donna @ Party Wishes said...

Wow! These sound wonderful! Your gingerbread party looks like so much fun!

Donna @ Party Wishes said...

How do you make the almond cream?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin