Thursday, December 3, 2009

Make a Handbag Cake

Have you seen the must-have handbag cake of the season?

I made this stylish cake over the weekend for 10-year-old Grace's fashion-themed birthday party. For this posh party, guests were invited to bring their favorite outfits. After visiting stations for hair and makeup, the girls walked the runway in a fashion show complete with lights and music.

To make a handbag cake, bake two square cakes and allow them to cool. Cut each cake in two, with one half a little larger than the other. Put a little buttercream icing on the bottom of the largest half, and place this piece icing-side-down on your serving platter. Spread a layer of icing on the top of this cake piece, and top it with the next largest half. Stack the other layers of cake, largest to smallest, sealing with icing between each layer. Insert dowels into the cake to keep the layers from shifting. Then use a serrated knife to shave away cake to get a smooth handbag shape.

Frost the cake smooth with buttercream icing, use a toothpick to trace a design into the icing, and pipe on details as desired.

Believe it or not, this post inspired my zebra-print look. A hot pink icing monogram and mini-ball fringe add pops of color to the cake, and fun details complete the design. Headbands tucked into the cake make cute handles for the purse, and Grace can recover them as desired after the party. A candy bracelet tucked into the top of the handbag hangs down the side of the cake. A little icing makes it look like a key fob for our fashionable "tenager." The cake started leaning, so I tucked a heavy square vase behind it for extra support. With a few pink flowers tucked in, the vase looks like part of the original design plan. Sunglasses and a couple of tubes of lip gloss tossed alongside the cake complete this year's latest look.

A fashionable cake for a model birthday girl!



Speaking of fashionable finds, my best girlfriend Vonda has just started a blog. Stop by Vonda's Lavish Life to say hello!


10 comments:

Vonda said...

I LOVE this cake! I can't wait to show it to Hannah. Thanks for mentioning my blog. Your readers are used to reading such beautiful posts, I hope they won't expect that kind of perfection from mine!

Rach said...

Very creative! What a perfect cake for the theme.

Susan Wicker said...

Oh my goodness, Melissa, you are SO TALENTED! Sincerely, Susan from writingstraightfromtheheart.blogspot.com

Cindy ~ My Romantic Home said...

Wow! It turned out great!!! I'm so happy my shirt provided some inspiration! What a lucky girl Grace is!!! I'm sure she loved it!

Mary Beth said...

Where ever do you come up with this over and over again. Every idea is so fresh and new. What a talent! I must ask for some ideas! We have a cookie contest coming up at our school. There is a best decorated cookie category, the most creative cookie category, and the best tasting cookie category. I would love to hear your ideas (If you do have some ideas for me, I will of course give you total credit as the brains and creativity of my entry... we'll share the Landis Elementary Cookie title if we win! hehe)

Kristen said...

How adorable!! What girl wouldn't love this?! You are so talented!

Melissa Lester said...

Mary Beth, let me think about it. I hang my head in shame to tell you that I participated in a cookie swap for a few years and never won an award in any category. With that confession out of the way, I will see what I can think of!

Workin' MAMA! said...

Using Headbands to complete as 'straps' is very nice and creative - Love the cake!
I visited Montgomery, AL, and on my map it read 'Watumpka' - and I instantly thought of 'you' --- ISn't that something how a glimpse of a town's name can fondly remind you of a very beautiful blog creation and its author? WOW!
Your cakes are all spectacular!
Thanks for the inpsiration!

Kim said...

Thank you so much for your creative inspiration! My daughter recently decided that she wanted a "Fahionista" themed birthday party. She really wanted a handbag cake. I love to cook and bake, but am NOT a cake decorator:) I recently found your blog, and was looking in your archives a couple of nights ago, when I came across your handbag cake. Beautiful!
I made it for my daughter tonight, and she is tickled with the results, and can't wait for her party tomorrow.
Thanks again for the wonderful inspiration!

replica purses said...

That's a nice cake. Looks like a real handbag. I wonder if it's expensive.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin