Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Peppermint Hot Chocolate

Peppermint Hot Chocolate
This minty hot chocolate recipe holds holiday appeal for young and old alike!
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup white sugar
1 pinch salt
1/3 cup boiling water
3 1/2 cups skim milk
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup half-and-half
Sweetened whipped cream
6 peppermint candies
Combine cocoa, sugar and pinch of salt in a heavy saucepan. Add the boiling water, and stir over medium heat until the sugar melts and you achieve a thick liquid. Stir in milk and heat until very hot, but not boiling. Stir in vanilla, peppermint extract and half-and-half, and remove from heat. Divide the hot chocolate between 4 mugs. Top each serving with whipped cream and a sprinkling of crushed peppermint candy.

This recipe is Emma-approved!


Beth said...

My kids love peppermint hot chocolate so I am going to have to give this recipe a try. I am sure it is much better than mix with peppermint syrup added.

Shell in your Pocket said...

OH...I want one right now...I may have to go to Starbucks!
sandy toe

The Big Blue Dog said...

Yum yum. This is a def must try thanks for sharing :)

Lindsey said...

Yum! Thanks for the recipe, my husband loves these so I'll have to make this for him!=)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I do believe I spy someone cute who LOVES this drink!


Sheila :-)

Betty Jo said...

You have a beautiful blog and I've enjoyed my visit! ♥

Dawn said...

This sounds so yummy!! My girls will love it-thanks!

Nancy said...

What precious pictures :) and the recipe sounds yummy!!

Renee said...

Oh yum! What a delicious treat in a lovely mug at that. Just a tip; If you are stumped someday for the peppermint candy, try substituting a bit of peppermint extract or even a drop of organic peppermint essential oil. So tempting! Yummmmmmm

Carrie said...

I do believe I spy someone cute who LOVES this drink! XO, Sheila :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin