Thursday, December 24, 2009

Creamy Tomato Soup

I posted this Southern Lady recipe early on in my blogging, but wanted to feature it again this Christmas season. This versatile dish is equally at home dazzling the crowd on a full-course holiday menu, or relaxing with toasted cheese sandwiches for a simple weeknight supper. With its zesty aroma and smooth texture, this soup is one of our wintertime favorites.

Creamy Tomato Soup with Sourdough Croutons

3 T. butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
2 (14-1/2 oz.) cans diced tomatoes with Italian herbs
2 c. chicken broth
2 c. (1 pt.) whipping cream
1 small can tomato paste
1 T. sugar
1/4 t. pepper
Sourdough croutons
Fresh thyme leaves

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute 3-5 minutes or until tender. Stir in diced tomatoes and chicken broth. Transfer half of mixture into container of an electric blender; cover and process until smooth, stopping once to scrape down sides; place in a bowl. Repeat for remaining half, then return all of pureed mixture to saucepan. Add whipping cream, tomato paste, sugar and pepper; stir well with a wire whisk. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly heated. Ladle into individual soup bowls. Sprinkle with croutons, and garnish with fresh thyme leaves, if desired. Yield: 8 cups

3 comments:

Jan's Blog said...

Every day I visit with you (your blog) and every day, I become jealous and envious of all you do, and how beautifully you do it. I don't know how for sure, but I know
you and this blog bless people.

Love to all,
Jan

Rach said...

Mmm, looks so wonderful. Especially on a cold and icy day like today!

Hope you and your family have a wonderful and blessed Christmas. Can't wait to see pictures!

Sheila Irish said...

This IS my new favorite soup! I made it for dinner tonight and I can't get over how delicious this is....I doubled the recipe because I was so worried I would not have enough to feed our family....The only thing I did not double was the whipping cream....Thank you so much for sharing your recipe with us....I'm hoping you have some other soup recipes that are as tasty as this one....

Blog Widget by LinkWithin