Thursday, March 14, 2013

Top 10 Pie Recipes



Icebox Pie

Last year on March 14, I was caught unaware when Facebook friends wished people a happy Pi Day. With my sweet tooth, how could I not know about a holiday celebrated by eating pie? This year, 3-14 finds me prepared with 10 favorite pie recipes I have shared over the years. Click the pink caption below each photo to find the recipe. One of our favorites is icebox pie. This recipe is so easy, I can let 9-year-old Mary Ashley and 11-year-old Christian like to make this recipe with little help from me. We like to double or even triple the recipe to fill our freezer with a quick and easy dessert option.






Special Delivery Tarts

There is something so charming about individually prepared desserts. In September I developed a recipe for special delivery tarts. These little hand pies can be prepared one at a time or en masse.






Peanut Butter Pie

Another good dessert to keep in the freezer, peanut butter pie is a family favorite. We will be slicing one up for dinner tonight at Carson's request. He was voted co-captain of the middle school wrestling team, and to celebrate he chose peanut butter pie for dessert.






Strawberry Pie

Light and refreshing, my mother's easy strawberry pie recipe tastes like spring. The recipe makes two pies, and they hardly last a day in our house.





Fudge Pie

My husband's Thanksgiving menu must-have is fudge pie. Last year I made mini-pies to go along with our assortment of desserts. We like to balance the richness of fudge pie with a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream.



Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie

My father's wife, Vicki, brought a delicious chocolate chip cookie pie to our Thanksgiving dinner in 2011.





Daddy's Famous Apple Pie

Creative friend Teri Phillips uses stamps to decorate pies, like the apple pie she made for our book club meeting to discuss Sweetwater Gap by Denise Hunter.





Cheesecake Tarts

A re-purposed gift box made a cute disposable dessert container for a friend who had just had a baby. Find a link to the recipe, along with thoughts on delivering comfort, by clicking the title above.






Joy's Impossible Ham Pie

We have shared a few slices of savory pie over the years, too, like our friend Joy's recipe above. This made the perfect quick-fix entree for a delicious friendship tea menu.






Chicken Pot Pie

I have always been a fan of chicken pot pie. Topped with leaves cut from puffed pastry, this recipe got the fall treatment for our Little Red Riding Hood family dinner party.



Let me be among the first this year to wish you a happy Pi Day! Whether you sample a sweet or savory recipe -- served in pieces or prepared individually -- I hope you will enjoy a slice of pie today.



"To whoever invented fantasy, redwood trees, and apple pie for breakfast: well done." ~ Dr. Sun Wolf


Blog Widget by LinkWithin