Thursday, May 1, 2008

Bring May Flowers

Happy May Day! This is a fun take on a May basket that is perfect for spring gift-giving occasions of all kinds. Choose a cute tote with a sturdy base. I love the contrast in textures between the straw bag, ribbon and flowers. For shower gifts, you could choose a diaper bag for a mom-to-be or a monogrammed purse for a bride-to-be. Choose a vase almost as tall as the bag, fill it about two-thirds full with warm water and floral food, and arrange fresh-cut flowers inside. I love tulips for this project because of the way they cascade gracefully over the bag. Stuff tissue paper inside the tote to keep the vase secure, then finish off the arrangement with fluffy tissue and a pretty ribbon tied around the purse.

The first year I made this craft, I placed several on the tables for a fashion-themed dinner party with girlfriends, then sent them to school the next day as end-of-the-year thank you gifts for my boys' teachers. And I have also made them for Mother's Day, birthdays, hostess gifts and "just because." So brighten a friend's day with fresh spring flowers today, and she will remember your kindness all summer long as she carries her trendy tote!



I hope these tulips will cheer up a friend going through a difficult time.


Posted by Picasa
Blog Widget by LinkWithin