Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Easter Brunch

Saturday's weather was perfect for an outdoor Easter brunch with the children. Since we won't have time for a leisurely meal during our busy Easter weekend, it was refreshing to spend some unhurried time in the mild spring air with my little bunnies.

Cream Cheese French Toast Bake with Strawberry Topping

I first tried this recipe when I spent a week with my sister and her first baby. During that visit I learned that I was pregnant with Christian, and I remember nearly bursting with excitement as I worked in the kitchen. I considered keeping my pregnancy a secret for a while, but couldn't resist telling Jennifer the good news. This dish brings back memories of that happy baby bunny spring!

Sliced sourdough bread
8-ounce container cream cheese with pineapple
4 eggs
1 cup milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 lbs. strawberries

Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Line the dish with sourdough bread, and spread cream cheese on bread. Top with remaining bread slices. Beat eggs in a mixing bowl, and add milk, 1/4 cup sugar, salt and cinnamon. Beat well, then pour egg mixture over sandwiches. Leave the casserole dish at room temperature for 5 minutes, then turn the sandwiches over. Cover, and refrigerate overnight. Chop 1 lb. strawberries, and toss them with 1/2 cup sugar. Refrigerate overnight.

To prepare the french toast, uncover casserole dish and bake at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, chop the remaining 1 lb.of strawberries and add them to the chilled strawberry mixture. Mix lightly, and serve alongside French toast.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin