Friday, September 26, 2008

A Day of Friendship

For an effortless centerpiece, top a cake plate with candles, flowers and greenery. For directions in making a cake plate, see this post.

I am packing up my cake plate and heading north this weekend to speak for a ladies day at the Fountain Head Church of Christ in Portland, Tenn. If you live near the Tennessee-Kentucky border, please join us tomorrow morning for an uplifting day celebrating the warmth of friendship. Registration begins at 9 a.m., lessons begin at 9:30, and we will conclude the day with lunch.

I believe our Christian sisters are among our greatest blessing in this life. Andrew M. Greeley described the power of friendship: "There is an electricity about a friendship relationship. We are both more relaxed and more sensitive, more creative and more reflective, more energetic and more casual, more excited and more serene. It is as though when we come in contact with our friend we enter into a different environment."

I am hoping our weekend together will be like a spa experience for the soul. Relaxed by prayer, refreshed by fellowship, and rejuvenated by the Word, I think this weekend will be just what we need.

15 comments:

Becky Welch said...

Enjoy your day in Portland. I use to teach near there in White House. I know you will be a blessing to the ladies there. We will say a prayer for you.

Live.Love.Eat said...

I hope, but I am sure, you'll have a wonderful weekend. Wish I could be there. I loved the quote - that's how I feel when I blog & connect with others - I enter a different environment. It's just another kind of friendship. Enjoy your time friend!

Lauren W said...

That is beautiful :) Have a lovely time in Portland.

Michelle said...

I wish I could be there. Have a blessed day.

Michelle

Jennie said...

1st, I htink the cake pedastal idea is genius, I will most likely be "borrowing" that one... 2nd, I think you are right, our Christian sisters are such a blessing to us, I know personally, mine have gotten me thru the toughest and most blessed situations in my life, have a great time this weekend....

Debbie said...

Your words...oh your words....they are so beautiful...and so relaxong and so very poetic. I know that those ladies will be blessed by you.

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

Oh Melissa, this is just divine! I already sent your link on making the plate to a dear friend of mine who has a special place in my heart. LOVE this idea. Just gorgeous!

Many Blessings with your speaking engagement! SO wish I could hear you speak.

Southerner said...

Hope all goes well on your speaking engagement. I love your photos. Tell me what setting you use. I have a good Nikon camera but don't know how to use it. Do you post as is or do you photoshop? I am just trying to learn how to take better photos. I only get the chance once then they grow.

Laura said...

Melissa - you used my favorite flower in your photo! I absolutely LOVE gardenias and they are blooming right now for fall! Their aroma is so God-given!

Cindy ~ My Romantic Home said...

That is so beautiful! love how you made that from a bowl and plate. I must have missed that post.

christie said...

I hope you have a lovely weekend!

The Quintessential Magpie (Sheila) said...

What a beautiful blog! I'm new and found you from a link on another blog. This is just exquisite. I love your tablescapes, and the colors on here are as pretty as the pictures themselves. Precious family, too. This was like a little slice of heaven.

Am definitely putting it on my list of lovely places to visit.

Thanks much,

Sheila

Belle said...

I love the quote...so true

Melanie said...

Helloooo! I have missed you! It was so nice to sit here tonight and catch up on your many adventures! I now have a brand new computer so hopefully I will be around for a while!
So good to "see" you again! Talk soon!
Melanie

Tammy said...

I have not checked your blog in a while and am so glad I did! I always feel enlightened and happy after reading what you have to say! Hope your weekend went well!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin