Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Gift Box

Small hat-box style gift boxes marked each place at Kylee's surprise birthday party. For this project, I purchased round wooden boxes from the craft store and painted the inside of each box and lid with two coats of pink craft paint, allowing the paint to dry after each coat.

Then I covered the outside of the box with fabric. I cut three pieces of fabric for each box: a slightly larger circle for the top of the lid, a thinner band for the rim of the lid, and a wider strip for the box.

First, I pressed the fabric then turned it pattern-side down. I traced the top of the lid with a fabric-marking pen and cut out the circle slightly larger than my pattern. I coated the back of the fabric with spray adhesive and allowed the glue to get tacky. Then I centered the lid on the fabric and smoothed out any wrinkles. My circle of fabric was larger than the top of the lid, so I used scissors to clip little slits around the perimeter. Then I smoothed the excess fabric down onto the rim of the lid.

Next, I cut pieces to make bands to cover the rim of the lid. These strips were wider than the rim and slightly longer than the circumference of the box. I pressed these strips flat, turning under the raw edges, then hot glued them around the rim. I tried to keep a sharp edge to give the top of the box a clean, finished look.

I left the lid to dry while I cut pieces to wrap around the sides of the box. These strips were wide enough to cover the sides, with excess fabric to overlap the top and tuck under the bottom. I sprayed these strips with spray adhesive and allowed the glue to get tacky. Then I wrapped the box and smoothed the fabric around the sides. I tucked excess fabric to the inside of the box and smoothed out wrinkles. Then I cut slits in the fabric extending below the box to make it easier to tuck under the bottom. After smoothing the fabric to the underside of the box, I set the box aside to dry.

For the final step, I hot glued rickrack to the inside of the box to cover the raw edge of fabric. Then the completed box was ready to be filled, wrapped with ribbon, and placed on the table.



Delicate soap-petal roses filled each gift box. I found these at Dollar Tree packaged in clear boxes. Wouldn't they make a lovely party favor as is?



17 comments:

Leah said...

Very pretty!!

Laura said...

Man!! I just love your creativity!! God has blessed you with such an awesome gift that some of us, just WISHED we had!!

And another gift....how do you do all this with 4 children?

Melissa Lester said...

It's simple really. By avoiding laundry, housework and other things I really should be doing! :)

Live.Love.Eat said...

You really are incredible. I want to soak up some of your talent!!!! So glad you liked Serendipity. As for Twilight, I completed it & can't wait to get the next one today. It's an intense love story but different than the usual because he is a vampire. But it's not like the coffins, can't go out in the sun type thing so that's what makes it remarkable. It's well done. Geared toward teens I have heard but I almost feel like they might be too young for the maturity between "Edward & Bella." You might like it.

Shanna said...

Girl, you are SO clever! Even if I tried to make this box, it wouldn't look nearly as nice as yours...

Carly Winborne said...

Yes, but your details make it much nicer! What a special birthday party! With all your posts, I feel like I was there. Thank you for sharing and including me!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness... you site is incredible. What great parties, crafts etc. Please tell me what kind of embroidery machine do you have?

Cindy

Melissa Lester said...

Cindy, I have a Babylock Ellure. Even though it is the low end for that brand, it can do so much. I LOVE it!

Felicia Eis said...

Oh my gosh those are sooooo pretty. I wish that I had more time to do things like that but with a two month old daughter and college classes it looks like I am going to have to wait awhile. I have a hard enough time keeping up with the things that I am good at and like to do.

Cindy ~ My Romantic Home said...

Wow, you never fail to amaze me! That is beautiful!

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

Oooh! I laugh at your comment regarding laundry, etc. !!! You DON'T want to see my pile of clothes to wash, dry, fold, put away, as I've been trying to re-do a teensie weensie little area of our garage!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for those recipes!!! I am SO going to try them --- just for fun for the family! NO MORE PARTIES for us - for a while, anyway!

Love ya!

HeathahLee said...

Those boxes are GORGEOUS! I might have to try that for our Women's Christmas party.

Thanks for your comment on my BATW post...people always tell me I look like someone they know, and I have a friend at church who could be my twin. In fact, we each have been out in town and people will start talking to us like we're the other person! Surreal! : )

Nancy Hood said...

You continue to blow me away, Melissa. Martha Stewart? Who's she? We have Melissa Lester!! Hope you can come to the Blogger Party Kristy is heading up!

xoxo, Chloe said...

I love those boxes, they are so pretty! Thanks for the great idea :)

Anonymous said...

What а іnformatiοn of un-ambiguity аnd preѕerveness
of ѵaluable familіаrіty regarding unpreԁicted feelingѕ.


my homepagе: Online-radioportal.de
My web site :: Chillout

Anonymous said...

These five free basketball game apps for the i - Phone will surely help you get your game on.
If you want to enjoy the game thoroughly then you need to get on board of a
reliable online bingo site to get the maximum enjoyment as well as benefit of the
game. You'll have to keep the phone close (on the bed or in an armband) for the app to work.

Feel free to visit my blog post: youtube converter

Anonymous said...

As we all know, looks can be deceiving, so I decided to try out the question tool for myself.
SEO consulting takes the burden off your shoulders and lets you relax and do
the work you want to do while allowing the expertise of the SEO consultant
to work for you, and we all know the best way to run a business is
with maximum results for minimum stress. This is what professionals do.

Out of those 6 keywords, further reduce the number of keywords.
Thus, in minimum cost, you get an opportunity to increase your site ranking on Search Engine Result Page (SERP).
The algorithms are not known publicly, but one thing
is certain, is the search engine websites that the information
is relevant to the purpose of the preferred site. Identify your niche audience
and be an active member on the forums and blogs. Lastly, make sure that you have a reliable
work-at-home office. The businesses have understood the need to take SEO services for attaining good search engine placement.

Be sure that the SEO outsourcing company you hire is capable of communicating properly.
Those who work on introduced SEO power suite, they choose best SEO tools among various tools available in the market.

Still hanging on. The SEO agencies must take care of the fact
that the traffic is getting converted to potential customers.

No - you name some of your images "breast. And, as more and more companies move larger portions of their advertising budgets to internet marketing, there is an even greater demand for their skills. A well-formed internal linking structure and good sitemap can ensure all pages of a website being indexed by a search engine. The World Wide Web is an incredible source of customers and potential revenue for all types of businesses and companies in all niches. A person can find all sorts of products available at various prices on the internet. Such companies know the best about industry and market trends. SEO requires understanding of various algorithms.

Also visit my weblog; http://www.iiitmk.ac.in/

Blog Widget by LinkWithin