Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Passing the Salsa

We enjoyed dinner out recently at a favorite Mexican restaurant, and I sat between 4-year-old Mary Ashley and 6-year-old Christian. After a busy week, it felt great to sit down together as a family. As we munched on chips and salsa, Mary Ashley gave me a sweet smile. Dipping her chip into the queso, she told me, "Mommy, when I grow up and I live in a tree house, I'm going to make a flower cake, and if you're still alive then, I will give it to you."

Her statement caught me by surprise, and Christian and I laughed heartily.

"Mary, Mary," her wiser older brother said, shaking his head, "it is very unlikely that Mom will still be alive when you grow up."

Heh-heh-huh? ... Before I go, remind me to leave my share of the chips and salsa to Carson and Emma.

11 comments:

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Your kids crack me up! :) And they are SO precious--love the beach pics with everyone in white--so sweet! Kids are too funny. Thanks for the laugh!

Blessings,
Stacey

Allene said...

Melissa,

I have never met you, but I love to drop in on your blog and peek into your life.

Nearly every day I blog, by presenting a bible chapter and an application. I am very involved in the women's ministires at Airport Freeway church of Christ in Texas, near the DFW airport.

It is enjoyable to read about Christian families and how God is blessing them.

Ever in His Presence,
Allene

Laura said...

Too funny!!

Live.Love.Eat said...

Awe, the flower cake story is so cute. Your kids are so beautiful & wholesome looking. All American beauties!

Frizzy and Bird said...

I love the funny things kids say. Even the ones we don't want to hear or believe. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I am thrilled you came to visit. What gorgeous photos of your family. You are blessed beyond measure but I don't need to tell you that do I.

Sandy said...

Enjoyed your article in the newest Christian Woman magazine! The mocha punch recipe sounds delicious!!!

Nancy Hood said...

lol lol lol

sweeter and the bubbas said...

Oh, I needed that laugh today. :-)

christie said...

Ah kids, always with the good humor.
Thanks for the laugh!

Lane Boyz Mom said...

HAHAHA kids are soo funny! My six year old neice tells my Mom that first your sixty, then your seventy, then your dead.

Yeah, Mom felt really uh, good about that since she is 66, LOL

Maternal Mirth said...

Why do our children insist on making us feel old???

Very cute, though :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin