Friday, September 5, 2008

Christian Woman & Me

My world stops when Christian Woman magazine arrives, and I read most issues cover to cover before the day is through. I pore over each article, amazed at the stories of faithfulness and inspiration that fill each page.

I first discovered Christian Woman when I was in high school and my grandmother shared a stack of back issues with my mother. I enjoyed reading about the joys, struggles and lessons learned by others. So when I left for college and my parents offered to give me a subscription to the magazine of my choice, the decision was easy. I chose Glamour.

But within a couple of issues, I realized this magazine did not reflect my values. So I asked my parents to cancel that subscription and order Christian Woman instead. From that point on, each issue of CW was like a gift in my mailbox.

As I neared graduation, I began to realize that of all the jobs I could pursue, what I really wanted most was to work for Christian Woman. I was thrilled when this dream became a reality. I joined the editorial department of Gospel Advocate Publishers after graduation, and I have continued my relationship with CW for more than a decade.

So it meant a lot to me when the editor invited me to write the keynote article for the Sept./Oct. issue. And she wanted to feature me on the cover. The cover? I couldn't believe it! So earlier this summer I planned a trip to the editorial office. I felt like queen for a day at our photo shoot, and I loved visiting with friends at the GA afterward.

I hoped I would miraculously look young, rested and 20 pounds lighter in the photo. In the days leading up to the magazine's release, I actually dreamed that instead of using a photo from our shoot, the graphic designer decided to use my horrible seventh-grade school picture. Poodle haircut, braces, bad complexion, ratty headband and all!

So when this latest gift arrived in my mailbox, my world stopped. But this time I lingered at the cover before delving into the magazine. I do a double-take each time I see the Sept./Oct. issue on my bedside table, and I can't help but giggle to see myself smiling back at me. I am so thankful for Christian Woman magazine and the role it has played in my Christian walk. Amazed by the stories of faithfulness and inspiration it has brought to my life, I look forward to poring over its pages for many years to come.


This is the Sept./Oct. 2008 issue of Christian Woman magazine. Subscriptions are available through Gospel Advocate Publishers online or by calling (800) 251-8446.

38 comments:

maryanne420 said...

oh melissa, that is a beautiful woman on a cover of an amazing magazine! congratulations!!!

Becky Welch said...

I was so excited when I got my magazine the other day!! You do so much to bless so many! Thank you!

Southerner said...

I love that magazine also. I found a couple of issues at the thrift store and really liked it. I love magazines so thought it would not have enough meat to really interest me, but it did. So many Christian magazines are a little on the dry side but I love that this one speaks to my real everyday Christian self, not just the spiritual in study mode self. I need to get a subscription.

I also just want to mention that I love your blog and seeing how you take photos. I live north of you in Alabama and smock, although my kids can't wear the smocked things anymore. I have a 1 year old niece and nephew that I plan to start smocking for.

Tammy said...

congratulations on your cover!! That is so cool! I will have to go get me one.

Kristi said...

Congratulations! Your blue eyes look more beautiful on this cover!!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Yay, what a lovely picture :)! How exciting to be on the cover...a keepsake, for sure! I'll have to check out a copy at the Christian bookstore!!

Blessings,
Stacey

Tina Foster said...

Will you autograph my copy? :0)
Congratulations on being salt and light!!

Live.Love.Eat said...

That is amazing Melissa. I am proud to know you as a gURLfriend! Congratulations!!!!!

Shanna said...

I'm enjoying your blog...what a delight to see you on the cover of Christian Woman!

Melissa said...

I was at my grandmother's house this past weekend and my mom picked up her copy of CW. To our delight, we saw a familiar face! You look beautiful! I'm still waiting on mine to come in the mail. I am not much for magazines, books, etc. I hate to read but I find myself loving CW when I can find/make the time to read them. Congrats on your modeling debut! :)

Beth said...

I was just coming on to tell you that when I went to my mailbox today I saw your beautiful face smiling at me. I hurried home and read your articles which were both great. I have been a huge fan of Christian Woman for many years and now I am enjoying getting to know you. Even if it is only over the internet. I pray that God continues to bless your family.

Leah said...

Melissa, what a honor! You look so beautiful!!

Cindy ~ My Romantic Home said...

Hi Melissa, thanks for your nice comment about my new blog design. That bed you you wanted me to see is GORGEOUS! I think you could do it yourself easily. You can buy those furniture appliques at www.doityourselfchic.com or at www.thebellacottage.com (under create it yourself) Then just find an inexpensive bee with the shape you like and add those and paint it white. On my sidebar I have a picture of my headboard. If you click that it will take you to my directions on how I paint my furniture.

Robyn said...

What an amazing honor! And, photoshop couldn't have made you any prettier - you look beautiful!

odomfamilyfun said...

You look beautiful on the cover and so young! I will have to get one as I don't think I have ever read Christian Woman...I am most excited! Congrats on a great 'cover picture' and now you can stop having bad dreams of bad middle school hair!!!

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

Oh Melissa! The cover is gorgeous!

I, too, am going to have to grab one! I received a subscription from a friend one year and LOVED it! May have to give it as a gift myself to a few special women this year!

sweeter and the bubbas said...

You look fantastic!! Now I can tell everyone I know I have a cover model for a friend!! :-)

JourneytoFamily said...

Thank you for stopping by via BATW the other day! That's very cool that you are a contributing writer for CW magazine!

Rebecca said...

How wonderful! I know you definitely deserve it.

Dawn said...

You look so beautiful on the cover. I heard you were going to be on there. I'm glad you posted it, because my subscription ran out. I plan to have it renewed next month.

Thank you for going to all the trouble to leave a comment on my blog! Where can we get McCain-Palin bumper stickers? I want one, too!!!!

You don't have to reply. I'll find out!

Jennifer P. said...

Oh Melissa! you look LOVELY!!! I am so happy for you! What an honor! I can only imagine the thrill---wow! Another blog friend, Linda, just got Matthew Mead's (a stylist)new Halloween magazine dedicated to her---and now you! I can only smile and think---boy I have a good eye for spotting talent :)!

I wish you day after day of joy from this dream come true!

Nancy Hood said...

DITTO to Kristi's comment on your eyes, I had the same thought! What a beautiful honor. Thanks for sharing with us!!!

Betsy said...

Congratulations! What an honor!

Becky said...

What a happy day for you. Congratulations! Your blog is a delight and your children are just precious. So many things to be thankful for.
I loved the post about your little potty trained Lady. So cute.
I look forward to getting to know you
Becky

Lane Boyz Mom said...

How awesome!! You're beautiful and WOW....you should be VERY proud;)

Mindy said...

Beautiful picture. I'll have to pick up an issue!

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful picture. Your eyes really POP in the picture!

Jennifer

Lauren and Justin said...

wow!!!! that is so exciting!

thotlady said...

Look at you! What a wonderful opportunity to write for a magazine you have been reading for ages...a dream come true.

Laura said...

I have tears in my eyes! Congrats on your dream!!

dddiva said...

Congrats on the cover. So happy I found your site through SITS. I am adding you to my must reads- I love everything I have seen so far- esp the cakes. :)

Tanja said...

Way to go, that's a great accomplishment! Keep up the great work...

Pennies In My Pocket said...

I've been meaning to subscribe to CW for a long time now. Thanks for reminding me.

I was like you, I had 'other' woman's magazine subscriptions. All I got from them was a weight complex and a worldly view of what I 'should' look like. It's time more woman learned God's view!

:-)

Blessings!
~melody~

Pennies In My Pocket said...

Oh and meant to add CONGRATS!! That is amazing!!!!

Louise said...

The pictures were all so good and the articles were of course amazing!! :) You are such an example and inspiration!!

Jennie said...

congrats.. I actually ordered a subscription to his magazine about 2 weeks ago... what an honor to be on the cover... I have looked thru your blog and am very impressed

Rela Pantaleon-Manigsaca said...

Wow! A real cover girl :)

Anyhow, may you continue your ministry with this magazine which blesses thousands of women!

Summer Saldana said...

A day late from SITS, but congrats! I love finding other christian mama blogs!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin