Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Cover Girl Chili

I won't let Joe forget that when the Sept./Oct. issue of Christian Woman arrived with my photo on the cover, he barely glanced at it and said, "Oh, that's nice." And that was it. But a few days later when he came home from work and smelled chili on the stove, he was so excited he picked me up and whirled me around the room. I considered spooning some chili on the magazine to elicit a bigger reaction from Joe, but instead I think I'll just share the recipe with you.


Favorite Chili

From Daisy King's Miss Daisy Celebrates Tennessee cookbook. Apparently, this recipe will bring you more fame and adoration than being a cover girl.

2 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
2 16-ounce cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green pepper
3 black peppercorns
4 tablespoons chili powder
2 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoons paprika
2 cups water
1 16-ounce can kidney beans
1 16-ounce can pinto beans
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce

Assemble all ingredients and utensils. In a very large skillet or saucepan, brown ground beef and drain very well. Add next eight ingredients and simmer covered for 2 hours. Add beans and seasonings and simmer uncovered for another 50 to 60 minutes. Yield: 8 to 10 servings.


12 comments:

Becky Welch said...

Yum!! Chili is one of my favorites! Did you get my email?

Laura said...

Gosh, this sounds so good and the weather here is absolutely perfect for it right now! Thanks for posting!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

They say the way to a guys heart is through his stomach! :) LOL!!
I love chili! I'll have to try your recipe!

Live.Love.Eat said...

That's too funny Melissa! And the chili sounds great!!!!

Mamasphere said...

I have something for you over at my blog!

Carly Winborne said...

So totally something my husband would say/do!!! (Or not say, in this case!) Glad the chili won him over, though.

Thanks for the recipe, too!

~Trish~ said...

YUMMY!! Thanks for stopping by my Kansas blog today :)

Meredith Teagarden said...

I do need a good chili recipe. I have NEVER been good at it. Thanks for giving me renewed hope :)!

christie said...

Wow. I'll be making me some Favorite Chili!
You were on the cover?

AndreaLeigh said...

Hello, I'm visiting from SITS. Love your blog, and I've got this recipe bookmarked!

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

oh my - too ironic! Love it!

Melanie said...

Ahhh, yes. My husband did not cry the first time he held our daughters( Maybe a tear) but when the Detroit Tigers made it to the World Series a few years ago...he sobbed! I am sure he is thrilled I am sharing this with you! :)
Men... give them a ball and slap some nacho cheese on it and they will be happy! :) That's okay...they'll never understand why we have to own more then one pair of shoes!
You've got to love them for it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin