Tuesday, October 7, 2008

New Mommy Cupcakes

A woman who has just become a mother deserves to be pampered a little, don't you think?

The girls and I are heading to my brother, Nathan's, house today to take lunch to his wife, Shana. We are so excited to meet their 1-week-old daughter, Kadence Marie. I can't wait to hold her, and 4-year-old Mary Ashley has already said she wants to watch The Little Mermaid with her. We are looking forward to a great girls day out!

I hope Shana will enjoy sampling these chocolate cupcakes frosted with chocolate buttercream icing and topped with chocolate-dipped strawberries. For the strawberries, I removed the hulls and dipped them in melted chocolate. While the berries cooled on waxed paper, I melted white chocolate and drizzled it over the strawberries from the end of a spoon. When the chocolate hardened, I placed the berries on top of the cupcakes. I like to place the strawberries hull-side down so the juice from the strawberries seeps down into the cake. So moist and delicious, they're worth every contraction!

Chocolate Buttercream Icing

1 cup shortening
2 sticks margarine
6 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons clear imitation vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
2 lb. 10X confectioners sugar

With an electric mixer, cream shortening, margarine, milk and vanilla. Gradually beat in sugar and cocoa powder until smooth. Add more milk, a little at a time, if the icing is still too thick.

19 comments:

Live.Love.Eat said...

Awe, congratulations on your niece. These look decadent!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meredith Teagarden said...

Oh my gosh! They look fabulous!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Yummm! Looks so delicious!! I'm going to copy down your icing recipe :)
Hope you have a wonderful visit!!

Felicia Eis said...

Congratulations!!!

My mouth is watering ::looking with big eyes::!!!!! I wish that we didn't live on a college campus and I had more time to cook. This does not even come close to the cafeteria food :P

Carly Winborne said...

Goodness, those cupcakes make me want to have another baby, just in hopes that someone would bring strawberry cupcakes to me! Thanks for the icing recipe, too. Just curious, how many cupcakes does this usually frost?

LaurieR said...

Congratulations on your new niece and now I'm HUNGRY!!! :^)

The Holtons said...

I am Laurie, Louise, and Leigh's Gin-Gin (aunt). I have enjoyed your blog for several months now, since Louise told me about it. Thank you so much for the encouragement that you give to "my girls" in Montgomery and everyone who has a chance to read your blog! By the way, the cupcakes look GREAT!!!!! Hope the new niece and parents are doing well! Ginny

Me said...

wow, can we pretend I have a new baby and you bring ME some 'cuppiecakes'?!!

dddiva said...

Oh those look so lovely and delicious. Congrats on the new niece.

Joanne Kennedy said...

Ooh those look so yummy!

You are always the sweetest and most thoughtful person. Everything you do is done with such love. What a special person you are.

Hugs,
Joanne

Cindy ~ My Romantic Home said...

Those look so good! Beautiful too!

Graham Shenanigans said...

Beautiful, Melissa. I have a question. What would you do for someone who had a miscarriage? Would you make a candy flower arrangement? Just a card?

Laura said...

If Shana doesn't like those cupcakes, I'll be more than happy to eat left-overs!! YUM!! Chocolate! What more could you ask for?!?!

Congrats to the family.

Jennie said...

Is it too late to get you to make me some... I just had my baby 3 1/2 monthes ago :)

Jennifer P. said...

Forget that I'm kind of old and also single---I want a baby just so I can get some of those cupcakes :)!

I have a buttercream frosting recipe too---but it uses marshmallow fluff---yummy :)!

Bahama Shores Mama said...

Yum, thank you for sharing all of your recipes. I've bookmarked so many I need to start cleaning out my favorites page to make more room.

Melanie said...

If there is one thing I cannot resist...it is chocolate cupcakes. The strawberries make it even more tempting!
Thank you for the prayers this week, my dear friend. I have felt them across the miles.

Anonymous said...

Seriously? These look amazing!

christie said...

The cupcakes look so decadent with the chocolate covered strawberries. Every woman who had ever given birth deserves those, right?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin