Monday, December 22, 2008

Birthday Doll Cake

I believe every little girl should have a doll cake once during her childhood, so I was thrilled to make this cake for our friend Emma's 5th birthday. I baked this strawberry cake in a Wilton doll cake pan and iced it smooth with pink buttercream icing. I slipped the doll pick into the cake and covered the bodice with pink icing stars and tiny white ruffles. I covered the skirt with delicate cornelli lace and finished off the hem with two layers of ruffles and beads of icing. Sprays of rose buds and icing ribbons completed this little girl's dream come true. (You can click on the photo to enlarge the collage. I wanted to photograph details on the back of the cake, but I get so tickled every time I look at the doll posing for her over-the-shoulder shot!)


The girls loved joining their friend Emma for her birthday party at Club Libby Lu, and riding the train together afterward was the perfect end to the celebration.

7 comments:

Ritch in Love said...

Always a fan of the doll-cake! And may I just say yours is darling! What a lucky girl!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

They are so precious, and you are so sweet to do this for your little friend. Hope her day was a happy one!

XO,

Sheila

Jennifer Driver said...

Beautiful details!

Cindy ~ My Romantic Home said...

That is so beautiful! What a lucky girl! I bet she will remember that cake the rest of her life!!!

Live.Love.Eat said...

Wow with a capital W. How long does that take? Beautiful details!!!!

Joanne Kennedy said...

How kind of you to give her such a lovely memory.

I remember the doll cake I made. I loved her too and didn't want to cut into her. But I ended up giving her to my great niece and she ate it with her girl friends.

Didn't you feel like a kid again making her dress. I know I did.

Hugs,
Joanne

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

She's gorgeous, Melissa!

:)
Karin

...I saw the Wilton classes were 50% off and tried to throw the idea out to my husband...he never catches that ball.

*sigh*

One day. One day.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin