Friday, December 12, 2008

Let It Snow!

As much as I love the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, I find myself yearning for stillness these days. For even just one night, I want everyone to stay home, snuggled up before a crackling fire to sip hot chocolate and read some of our favorite storybooks while the world goes on without us.

This weary mom wants a snow day!

Of course, my southern children long for snow too. So even if our Alabama weather will not cooperate, I have a plan for taking a snow day someday soon. With our full holiday schedule, this party may have to wait until the new year. But sharing a special evening together might be a good way to combat post-holiday boredom in the long winter nights to come. Maybe these ideas will inspire a snow day at your house too!

This party was inspired by snowman sandwiches I saw in a family magazine a couple of years ago. The beauty of this meal is its playful take on a simple supper. A few thoughtful touches elevate the humble soup-and-sandwich combination to a memorable party.

For the above meal, I sprinkled powdered sugar onto a dinner plate to create a light dusting of snow. Cookie-cutter sandwiches form the body and head of a snowman, and carrots, sprinkles and chocolate chips add details. (Pretzels work well for the arms, but I didn't have any when I assembled this plate.) A hat and scarf cut from scrapbook paper add whimsy, while extra-special touches like gluing a pom-pom to the hat, writing a name on the scarf, and cutting fringe on the ends of the scarf add those extra-special touches.

A mug of soup positioned alongside the snowman looks inviting on a cold winter day. I used vegetable soup for the photo above, but for our upcoming snow day nothing would delight my children more than for me to open a can of Campbell's chicken noodle soup.

To make the most of our snow day, the children will be snuggling up in these ... .



Cute snowman pajamas from Lakeside Collection will keep the children warm throughout the winter, and at only $7.95 each I can afford to dress all four alike. And once in our PJs, we'll be ready for this ... .



I found this book, Christmas Magic by Michael Garland, in the clearance section of a local bookstore. This will be a great read during our snow day.

Of course, we'll have all the supplies we need for our snow day: soft blankets for keeping out the chill; hot chocolate piled high with marshmallows for melting our troubles; and the ones we love most drawn close to warm our hearts.

So when the busyness of this hectic season overwhelms you and you feel the need to slow down and rest, don't despair. Just let it snow!


16 comments:

Sandy Toes said...

I have never heard of that book but it looks very sweet! I love Snowman..cute pj's too!
-sandy toes

Becky Welch said...

Cute ideas!!! We will have to do this as well!

pink green & southern said...

It snowed in my hometown of Baton Rouge yesterday and it hasn't snowed there since 1989 so you may get some snow in Alabama yet!

The McDaniel Five said...

My p.j.s are all ordered, and I have a great silent movie called THE SNOWMAN that I think my children will have fun narrating it theirselves. Thank you for the great idea.

sweeter and the bubbas said...

Oh, your kids are going to LOVE this!! Can't wait to see their PJ's at the Pizza Party with Santa!! :-)

Joanne Kennedy said...

I must give you the BEST MOMMY award! You are always coming up with the best and such cute ideas! I love coming here every day to see what you come up with next.

Hugs,
Joanne

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea. But what do you have inside the sandwich?

Anonymous said...

Also forgot to ask. Do you make the sandwich and then use the cookie cutter or cut first and then assemble?

Melissa Lester said...

I cut the bread first for the ham sandwiches pictured. I will probably make turkey sandwiches for our snow day because the girls eat those well, but my boys may prefer PB&J. Whatever the choice, it will be quick, simple and kid-friendly.

Suzy said...

Ohhh what a fantastic meal idea, I must copy you and make that for my son.
As we moved in our apartment from "somewhere" appeared tones of toys and I said that he needs to ask Santa for something else. My son said "Okay I will ask for a book then!" It would be great to find here something like you did. But thanks for the idea now I know for what to look.

Enjoy the season. Suzy

Anonymous said...

What fun ideas! I am also a Southern Girl and with no snow anywhere to be found, I am always looking for ideas to make it a fun winter. A couple ideas for your snow day - "ice skate" on paper plates - the kids just stand on the paper plates, put on music, and glide around. It really works! We also have had a "snowball" fight - we just used scratch white paper and crumpled them into snowballs, and then had a fun time!
~Laura

The Mrs. said...

snowmen sandwiches! AMAZING! How have I lived in new york for a couple of years and not thought of that!?! I'll be testing these out tomorrow. Thanks for the great idea and the tip on cute (CHEAP!) jammies.

Susie Harris said...

We had our very first snow day! In south Louisiana. Can you believe it!!! Guess it wont happen for another 20 years. Hope you get one soon too~

Tracy P. said...

Oh, you just need to come up here for a few days! We had a gorgeous day today, upper 30's which was perfect for sledding, snowman building and a snowball fight with the neighbors! No fancy sandwiches, but hot chocolate with chocolate mint coffee creamer and whipped cream. And then "Encore Buffet" for supper! :-)

Jennifer@DoingTheNextThing said...

Cute! I'll have to check out those PJs ... a couple of mine could use a new pair!

Jennifer P. said...

Your kids are so lucky! They always have the cutest food to eat :)!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin