Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Pottery-Painting Party

You won't find December birthdays wrapped in Christmas paper in our family. Continuing my birthday theme, I thought it would be fun to revisit one of my favorite parties. For Christian's 5th birthday, we painted Christmas ornaments at a local pottery studio. I made the invitations on my computer, fitting the text on a piece of clip-art. I printed the pages on card stock and cut out the artist palettes. Since he was turning 5, I let the Birthday Boy choose that many colors of puff paint. I applied squiggles of paint to each invitation. The paint added texture and interest to the invitations, and the shiny puff paint looks wet. For the final touch, I punched holes in each invitation and slipped a paint brush through. And I was ready to create my masterpiece:

The Cake ...



In keeping with our creative theme, I printed a copy of Van Gogh's Starry Night and used the image as a guide to trace the familiar painting into a crumb coat of icing. I filled in the painting with buttercream icing and Skittles. Yellow icing framed the masterpiece, and a paint brush placed on top of the cake added one final touch of whimsy.



Christian and friends enjoyed a colorful evening at the pottery studio. We sent the children home from the party with colorful bags of candy and mini-paint sets, and within a few days we had their ornaments to distribute. Hung on our tree, our children's pottery ornaments remind us of the magical year Christian turned 5.


16 comments:

Sandy Toes said...

What a wonderful idea!!!! Are you a decorater? You are quite amazing!
-sandy toes

An Accomplished Woman said...

Again, another wonderful party for the kids. You are very creative.

Anonymous said...

Wow. You inspire me to "step it up" for my kids birthdays. They won't be getting a store bought cake this coming year.
I really enjoy your blog. Keep up the good work.
Beth

Michelle said...

Your cakes are stunning! I love to decorate cakes and you have given me some wonderful ideas.

Laura said...

Oh, I love this idea!!

Tracy said...

That cake is amazing! You did good!! :)

Sarah said...

I was about to be very surprised that you had pulled off yet another birthday party in such a short time! The cake is amazing! I need to work on making our bdays a little more creative.

sweeter and the bubbas said...

I remember this party like it was yesterday! I can't believe that was 2 years ago! Wow... I loved seeing the picture of the cake again. That has to be one of the most creative cakes I've ever seen. Oh, and look how much Mary Ashley has grown up since then!!
:-)

Live.Love.Eat said...

That invitation is so awesome!!!! So creative!!

Joanne Kennedy said...

What wonderful ideas you come up with for parties! I can't wait to see more fun ideas. You are so creative.

Hugs,
Joanne

Meredith@MerchantShips said...

Wow! I officially crown you the Queen of Birthday Parties!

I haven't been able to comment in the last few months, but I continue to be inspired by your skill and artistry. Thanks for sharing.

Debbie said...

You are unbelieveable! It's all a masterpiece..every last bit of it...I am in awe...

Nancy said...

what a precious idea!! and the memories will last and last :)

Three plus Me said...

What cute invitations! And that cake Melissa is just WOW! You are too good!

Elena said...

I found your blog while blog hopping; it's all so beautiful. But I had to LAUGH at this post. Oh how I wished this would have been here last year. My daughter wanted a cake with "a kid painting Starry Night" for her party. I had NO clue where to even begin. Your's turned out so great! Thankfully she was satisfied with an artist Barbie set sitting on the top of the cake.

Pottery Painting Parties said...

Wonderful ideas! Memories of these will surely be treasured

Blog Widget by LinkWithin