Friday, December 19, 2008

Holiday Brunch Recipes

A hearty breakfast casserole accompanied by fresh fruit, grits and muffins creates a lovely harmony on a holiday brunch menu. And a cup of tea and slice of honey bun cake end the meal on a perfect note.

Breakfast Sausage Casserole

I served this Cooking Light recipe a couple of years ago to rave reviews at a Twas the Night Before Christmas party. I recommend this dish any time of day!

1 (16-ounce) package frozen turkey sausage, thawed (I couldn't find turkey, so substituted pork)
8 (1 1/2-ounce) slices sourdough bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 8 cups)
2/3 cup (about 2 1/2 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided (I used about 2 cups of skim milk)
1 cup egg substitute
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 (10.75-ounce) can condensed 30% reduced-sodium, 98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup, undiluted

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add sausage to pan, cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring well to crumble. Arrange bread in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top evenly with cooked turkey sausage and cheddar cheese. Combine 2 1/2 cups milk, egg substitute and Dijon mustard, stirring with a whisk. Pour over bread mixture in dish. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk remaining 1/2 cup milk and soup. Pour over bread mixture and bake for 1 hour or until lightly browned. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings

Honey Bun Cake

My sister, Jennifer, shared this recipe with me. This cake makes the whole house smell wonderful. Freshly baked and glazed, each bite will nearly melt in your mouth.

1 box yellow cake mix
4 eggs
1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
2/3 cup oil
1 cup brown sugar
2-4 tablespoons cinnamon

Glaze:
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1 box confectioners sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix first 4 ingredients together and pour half of batter into sheet pan. Mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over batter in pan. Spread remaining half of batter in pan over cinnamon and sugar mixture. Bake for 35-45 minutes. When cake is done, punch small holes all over the top of the cake with a fork and pour on the glaze. Notes: Release cake from sides of pan before glazing. I like preparing this cake in a Bundt pan. I pour the glaze onto the cake and let it pool in the middle of the cake and seep around the serving dish. Silk flowers tucked into the center add a festive touch.


15 comments:

Becky Welch said...

Oh yum!! We are having a Christmas Eve brunch this year so this will be great!

pink green & southern said...

I am totally making that honeybun cake for my honey on his upcoming bday. He always asks for honeybuns for breakfast (throwback from his childhood, now he can have them all day long!

Charity Childs-Gevero said...

I'll make this for Christmas morning! Thank you much much!

Merry Christmas!

:)

Suzy said...

Looks so delicious. Great photos.

Suzy

Kasey said...

I have had a breakfast casserole similar to that one and they are so yummy! The cake sounds like it will be super yummy too! thanks for sharing it with us!

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

M~

is that a cream cheese frosting of some sort piped around the edge of that cake?

Hearts, as always
:)
Karin

Melissa Lester said...

Karin, I happened to have extra buttercream icing leftover from some Christmas cupcakes baked the same day, so I piped that around the bottom. Usually I just use the glaze, though. You have a good eye to notice that detail!

Judy said...

What time is the brunch? Wow!! So very gorgeous! I make Honey Bun Cake too, but I never thought to make it in a bundt pan. Thank you for the good idea.

Kris said...

I was just online looking for a casserole recipe and there you are! Perfect timing! I'll be giving this a try to bring to our church Christmas breakfast in the morning!

Kristi said...

Thanks for the recipe suggestions! I knew you were the one to ask! :)

Meg said...

Thanks so much for sharing these recipes. I have been looking for a similar cake recipe someone brought to my house after my father died.

I can't wait to try it!!

Kristi said...

I absolutely love your blog. I feel so uplifted each day that I read it. I am a stay at home mother of 4 also, including 2 year old twin girls, and I just do not know how you have the time to do so much. I admire you. I have one question. Could you tell me what kind of monagramming machine is a good choice to start out with? I would really like to monagram little dresses for my 3 girls. Thank you so much and keep up the good work!!! Kristi mkbost@blomand.net

Stacey said...

Melissa, I just spent 20 minutes looking at your blog. I love it!! The recipes, decorating ideas, & sweet thoughts are all so enjoyable. :) I will be back!

Emmy said...

Hi Melissa,
I really enjoy your blog and all the help you pass along. I just love the song - I plan to put it in my shuffle. Have a great Christmas and you have a sweet family. I attend Dalraida -

Cynthia Holt Ziemian said...

I just wanted to drop a quick note to let you know I made your Honey Bun cake today and it was AWESOME!!! I made a few adjustments to the recipe and thought I would share with you. I used a pineapple cake mix (just because I had it on hand) used a little bit more Br Sugar & cin. and dotted a little butter on top, too. I think I was suppose to wait until the cake cooled completely before I poured the glaze on top? (The recipe didn't really say) I didn't, and the glaze soaked in, but the cake is still very, very good. Thank u so much for sharing your recipes!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin